The Eyes of MSMS

The Eyes of MSMS

The Eyes of MSMS

Goen Hall evacuates early Thursday

Residents+evacuate+Goen+Hall+after+a+carbon+monoxide+alarm+was+sounded+at+approximately+5%3A53+a.m.+on+Thursday+%5BNov.+30%5D.+
Maddie Brain
Residents evacuate Goen Hall after a carbon monoxide alarm was sounded at approximately 5:53 a.m. on Thursday [Nov. 30].

A carbon monoxide alarm forced Goen Hall residents from their dorm before classes began Thursday [Nov. 30].

Students evacuated the dorm at approximately 5:53 a.m. About two and a half hours later, MSMS officials confirmed the cause of the evacuation via an email that said “all students are safe.”

At the time of publication, it is unknown what caused the alarm to sound and if the issue is resolved.

“We are working with Atmos, the MUW police and the Columbus Fire Department to assess the building and clear us for entry,” said Interim Executive Director Ginger Tedder in the email.

In an email with the subject “Parent Email Alert – Goen Hall Update,” Interim Executive Director Ginger Tedder announced that “a carbon monoxide detector was activated.” (Screenshot by Ray Taylor)

During the situation, students moved to the pre-designated fire evacuation area — a nearby parking lot — and then to Hogarth Hall. They were permitted to attend breakfast and excused from classes.

Editor’s note: A fire alarm sounded this morning alerting students to the carbon monoxide warning. Instructions located near carbon monoxide detectors in Goen Hall tell students to “pull the nearest fire alarm” and “exit building quickly and call 911” in the event the carbon monoxide detector sounds.

According to an email from Tedder on Nov. 30 at 2:20 p.m., Atmost conducted a full investigation of Goen Hall and detected no carbon monoxide. All Goen residents were permitted to go back into the dorm once the building was deemed safe.

The Vision will provide updates to this story as they become available.