The Eyes of MSMS

The Eyes of MSMS

The Eyes of MSMS

Editorial: Senior swooping is morally dubious

The Vision Editorial Board presents its opinion on the questionable ethics of senior swooping.

Normally, editorials are reserved for serious subjects pertinent to student life on campus. This editorial is no different. While many feel like senior swooping is a punchline or silly little quirk of living residentially on campus, we, The Vision’s editorial board, do not feel this way. 

We share only one opinion: Do not senior swoop. It is never worth it, ever.   

So, what is senior swooping? Here is an easy answer: Senior swooping occurs when a senior initiates a romantic relationship with a junior early in the year. This is not to be confused with junior jumping, or when a junior aggressively pursues a senior, which results in the same product but by different means. 

One of the main issues of senior swooping begins with the massive difference between juniors and seniors in the first couple of months of the school year. Seniors have a routine and are settled; they know their friends, their teachers and their enemies. On the other hand, juniors have no idea what to expect; they are still coping with being away from home. MSMS is a two-year residential high school, so the dynamic between grades is much different than at a traditional four-year high school. 

Generally, the seniors committing swoops are the ones who have burned all the bridges with their fellow seniors. If a random senior is appearing in your periphery a lot, do your research; ask around and stay informed.

We know the kind of problems senior swooping causes. It can get you stuck in groups you have no idea of the history and reputation of. As a junior, it can be hard to sense the overall public perception of a senior who you have only known for a month or two. The beginning of junior year is when you discover and define who your friends are. The decisions you make at MSMS will impact you forever. Do not align yourself with the wrong people.

This leads us to the best rule of thumb to follow, the unspoken November rule: Generally, wait until that month before you decide to romantically pair up with someone. 

Juniors: You could be the targets of senior swooping. Socially speaking, we suggest you stay cautious and watch your back. You should always be aware of the senior who’s swooping you and their reputation in their actual class before you commit. 

Seniors: We suggest you stay in your lane. It is easy to make yourself look like a deity, but make sure you actually know who you’re dating before you take your eyes off the prize — going to college. Nobody is worth compromising your morals and destroying your reputation for.

The Vision Editorial Board consists of Co-Editors-in-Chief Iris Xue and Sebastian Harvey, Co-Managing Editor and News Editor Maryann Dang, Co-Managing Editor and Sports Editor Mariane Powell, Student Life Editor Stella Savell, Co-Entertainment Editor and Photo Editor Noah Lee, Co-Entertainment Editor Helena Munoz, Opinion Editor and Graphics Editor Levi Stevens and Podcast Editor Ray Taylor.

Swiper, the anti-senior swooping mascot, advises juniors to be vigilant while navigating a new social environment. (Graphic by Grace Ann Courtney)
View Comments (2)