MSMS Political Clubs Get Involved With Presidential Election

Jenny Nguyen, Guest Writer

With the current U.S. President’s term coming to an end, the new presidential campaigns are in full swing. Two clubs at MSMS, Young Democrats and Young Republicans, are hoping to spread awareness about both political parties. The Young Republicans, led by juniors Chris Slagell and Achintya Prasad and sponsored by Angie Jones, had their first meeting on Oct. 21. There is also the Young Democrats Club, sponsored by Chuck Yarborough.

Chris Slagell and Achintya Prasad, both officers of the Young Republicans Club.
Jenny Nguyen

Leaders of the Young Democrats are juniors Braeden Foldenauer and Wrishija Roy. All four share their excitement for the campaign year.

Foldenauer is looking forward to possibly having small debates within the Young Democrats Club or even collaborating with the Young Republicans and having debates between them. Slagell was also in agreement with having intercommunal debates.

Braeden Foldenauer and Wrishija Roy, both officers of the Young Democrats Club.
Jenny Nguyen

“We could possibly bring in some speakers, any senators or representatives, anything of that nature,” Slagell said.

Achintya Prasad says the Young Republicans is not just a club for Republicans and hopes to get other students involved in the club. One of the possible plans for the Young Democrats Club, Roy shares, is hosting a voter drive within the community and having a table for the Young Democrats Club.

Both clubs’ leaders are excited to see the number of students who came to the interest meetings; they are hoping that they can keep up the enthusiasm for the clubs for the upcoming year.