MSMS Soccer Makes Big Waves on Senior Night

It's Senior Night! The girls ended off their last regular season game with a 6-0 Win.

Elijah Dosda

Elijah Dosda

Elijah Dosda

Rachel Zheng and Gina Nguyen

Last Friday night, Jan. 25, the MSMS soccer teams returned to the downtown Columbus Soccer Complex for the last time this season. The girls defeated Philadelphia 12-0, and the boys lost 2-3.

The Lady Waves took the field first. Seniors Erin Williams and Arin Kelly and junior Tierah Macon led the team with 2 goals each.

“Even though we did really well, the game kind of highlighted the things we need to work on as a team,” Williams said.

Elijah Dosda
Samantha Holland keeps Philadelphia away from the ball.

All three goalkeepers combined for the clean sheet.

“We stumbled the last couple of matches, so we worked this week to regain our early season form.  Tonight we improved our runs and combination play,” said Coach Chuck Yarborough. “We celebrated our seniors tonight, and it was a nice way to see them off in their final home match.”

Seniors Mia Riddley, Zariah Wright, Grace-Anne Beech, Amber Means and Madison Wypyski and junior Niyah Troup each added a goal.

“I am proud of the way the Lady Waves played on Friday evening.  We lost our mojo for a while, and it was a relief to start seeing the pieces click back together as the game progressed, particularly as we began focusing on possession and control during the second half,” said Wypyski.

As for the boys’ match, MSMS dropped a 3-2 on a PK goal in the fourth extra period. At the end of regulation play, the match was tied 2-2, and the teams played two 10 minute extra periods followed by two 5 minute extra periods.

Courtesy of Dr. Heath Stevens
Senior Night for the Blue Waves cultivated in a hard loss 2-3.

“I was proud of the effort the team put forth on Senior night,” said Coach Morri Mims.  “We don’t feel like we lost the match. We just ran out of time.”

Dylan Johnson scored both goals for MSMS, finishing the season 2-8.

I feel like our team as a whole played very well,” said Johnson. “Despite being the only player to score, I recognize the team’s great effort in creating chances for us attackers and sustaining the lead when we had it. All in all, I enjoyed playing with this team this season.”

The fact that individuals from across the state— many of whom have never played soccer before— and become competitive enough to play in the span of 4-5 months…that astounds me.”

— Morgan Emokpae

Because the season is coming to a close, the team had a senior soccer night, recognizing those who were leaving. The girls would have a blue balloon, and each junior would gift them a new soccer ball signed by the team and a white balloon for the colors of MSMS. For the guys, they were given goodies.

Elijah Dosda
Morgan Emokpae runs down the ball.

“The senior recognition party was great. I got to share something that has been a big part of my life with people with the team I play with and friends and family that support me,” said Emokpae.

MSMS’ next game will be at Strayhorn High School in Sarah, MS.

“Sunday we’ll prepare for our first round playoff match at Strayhorn,” added Yarborough.  “The Lady Mustangs are a strong offensive squad, but we’ve worked all season to prepare for challenges like this.  So, I’m confident our team will perform at our best and leave it all on the field Monday.”

About the Contributors
Rachel Zheng, Copy Editor, Staff Writer

Rachel Zheng, a copy editor and staff writer for The Vision, is from Madison, MS. She is currently a junior at MSMS. When she isn't in her classes, Zheng...

Gina Nguyen, Photography Editor

Gina Nguyen, this year's Photography Editor, is from d'Iberville, MS. She is a part of the MSMS Graduating Class of 2020. Being a part of The Vision gives...

Elijah Dosda, Sports Editor

Elijah Dosda is the sports editor and his motto is "There's always more coffee. Who needs sleep?" So far, (besides classes) he is involved in swim, cross...