Disaster on Campus: MUW Disaster Drill Miminally Affects MSMS Daily Activity

Deven Martin/The Vision

The train tracks on which a train “crashed” on Thursday Sep. 3 in a mock disaster, testing MUW drill responses

Deven Martin, Art Editor

A train carrying toxic fluid derailed while traveling through the campus.

Not really, but the scene was simulated earlier in the week and as a result, MSMS students experienced the luxury of sleeping late.

Each year Mississippi University for Women conducts a disaster drill and runs through the ropes  in case of a real disaster scenario. First responders such as the Columbus Police Department, Columbus Air Force Base, Lowndes County Emergency Management, Mississippi Emergency Management, Mississippi Department of Health, United Way, and the Red Cross participate in the drill.

While this year’s disaster did not include MSMS participation, the activity gave “the juniors a chance to see what goes on around the W campus,” said Jesse Pugsley, a senior.

While it afforded an extra few hours to sleep and/or do homework, the drill is important to all who work and live on campus.

Greg Parker said, “I’m so angry that we are not involved in this because the train tracks are really close to us and our classes and our dorms.

“If a train crashes we will be the ones to die first and I’m really angry and upset about this because if a train crashes into us, we will be unprepared.” said Parker.

But not everyone shares this opinion. In fact most people are not even thinking about this; they are just happy the day is starting later. “At least we don’t have to go to class first period, I hate first period,” said Lewis Park.

The drill was deemed a success by organizers who said everything went according to plan. The activity did not affect the MSMS students. “It is a nice safety precaution to avoid disaster in the future,” said Angella Osinde.