National Merit Semifinalist: Hamilton Wan

Courtesy of Hamilton Wan

Courtesy of Hamilton Wan

Courtesy of Hamilton Wan

Hunter Lawson, Staff Writer

National Merit Scholarship Semifinalist Hamilton Wan is one of the fifteen MSMS students to receive the honor, increasing from the twelve recipients the previous year. Wan was born 30 minutes away in Starkville, Mississippi. His family moved from Tennessee, Missouri, Ohio, and Georgia before finally settling back in Starkville before third grade.

Wan took the PSAT both as a freshman and as a sophomore, so he had an idea of what to expect from the PSAT. Because of his experience with the PSAT, he shares his wisdom with the Juniors who will take the PSAT themselves on October 10th this year.

“The main way I prepared for the PSAT is by taking practice tests,” he says, “practice tests are definitely the way to go study for juniors to study for the PSAT.” Wan believes the practice tests helped him to achieve National Merit and is a good strategy for juniors to prepare for the PSAT. Wan also thinks that many of the teachers at MSMS can help the juniors to reach National Merit status on October 10.

The majority of his self-drive, Wan stated, came from his parents. “They always motivated me, but never forced me.” According to Wan, his parents are also his role models and “have had the greatest impact on my constant curiosity.” Wan felt pretty confident after taking the PSAT, but he didn’t know if he made National Merit, saying, “I was indifferent.”

Not only is Wan academically accomplished, but he is also well-liked by his peers.

“Hamilton is one of the most humble people I know. Whenever I need help with Organic or Cal II, he never hesitates to help. He truly deserves this honor,” stated fellow National Merit Semifinalist Brady Suttles.

“Beyond the world of academics, [Hamilton] does amazing job of listening to his friends, whether the problem is academic or emotional,” shared senior Peter Nguyen. “I would die without Hamilton.”

“My favorite subject by far is math,” Wan adds, stating that he is fascinated by the mathematical proofs. Wan says this “stems from how I always want to find justification and for reasoning for any claim.”

Wan also says that he wants to double major in math with a focus on applied math, and computer science. Wan wants an affordable college, saying “my dream college would be any college that I can get into and offers a financial package.” Wan’s plan for the future is a little vague. When asked about his plans for the future, Wan says “I hope to attend a four-year undergraduate institution and maybe go to graduate school.”