Lori Feng is Optimistic About Her Future

Jessikah Morton, Staff Writer

It is senior and S.G.A President Lori Feng’s turn to shine as a National Merit scholar this week. Feng is one of the 15 National Merit semifinalists who exceeded the PSAT cutoff score. She has put a lot of work into achieving this great honor and plans to continue achieving great things.

“I’m kind of going to shoot my shot everywhere and see where it lands. My top choice right now would be the University of Pennsylvania for the Wharton School of Business. I want to like eventually run a social enterprise, so I’m thinking a double major between political science and finance probability.”

Feng not only has goals for her future but also is thriving and surviving the waves of MSMS. She participates and holds office in many clubs offered at MSMS. She also takes advantage of every opportunity afforded her considering she was also Mississippi’s 2018 Distinguished Young Woman.

“One of my main clubs that I’m in is Model Security Council and so I’m co-president of that. Last year I started National History Day back up and so I’m the president of that. I’m a member of F.B.L.A., and I’m a member of Mu Alpha Theta,” she said.

Being a National Merit scholar came with its own shock factor for Feng, and she is excited, as she should be.

“It feels great. I wasn’t really expecting it for sure so I was definitely very happy when I found out.”

With this excitement Feng also has advice for future students who will eventually take the PSAT or any standardized tests in general.

“I would definitely say like to start practice test a lot earlier and kind of just work gradually. Don’t try to cram for standardized tests because that never really works. And also like a lot of people are stressed out about National Merit and like the whole standardized test thing in general, but I would just say don’t put too much emphasis on it because even though it does help in some cases, it’s not going to make or break you as a college applicant, so just like don’t over stress it for sure.”

Lori Feng is definitely an exemplar MSMS student who will definitely go far in her future endeavors.