MSMS Hosts First Annual Regions Business Plan Competition

Dev Jaiswal

The top three finishers stand on stage and receive their awards.

Jilkiah Bryant, Staff Writer

On March 6, the Mississippi School for Mathematics Science hosted its first annual Regions Business Plan Competition, awarding teams of seniors with scholarships from Regions Bank.

The competition began back in August when Dr. Kayla Hester first informed the student body about the guidelines and rules for entering the competition, with the deadline for the first round of the competition in October. 

After selection as the top five business plans, those groups went through sessions reviewing their plans and how to make them better.

On the night of judging, the first group to present their business plan was senior Gary Nguyen and juniors Hamilton Wan and Helen Peng. This group’s business was called “Meterwise” where they wanted to create and supply better meters to record and measure the amount of electricity or gas that you use so that information is more accurate and individuals are better priced.

“The business was largely a learning experience for me, and I am grateful for having had the opportunity to work alongside my teammates to develop an idea that we felt strongly about,” Nguyen described. “Along the way, I’ve come to realize the amount of commitment that entrepreneurship requires, and with startups being a potential route for me in the near future, I look forward to applying what I’ve learned, from developing our own plan and spectating others’ (amazing) presentations, to future pitches.”

The second group consisted of Alana Andrus and Gene Kloss. This group’s business was named “Musical Motivations,” in which they planned on implementing music into medicine. 

Alan was inspired by her own personal experience when creating her business plan. “The concept of Musical Motivations came from my own experiences in my spinal rehab after being diagnosed with a wedge compression fracture in my T-spine. I felt like I couldn’t get better even though I was. At the time, however, I was also researching music in medicine and the healing processes it has on the brain. Then, MM was born to help intertwine the healing of mind and body to keep patients focused and positive by learning an instrument of their choice and rehabilitating the body at the same time,” Andrus explained.

The third group consisted of Griffin Stewart, Sydney Matriascano and Mariana Strawn, creators of Oodles of Noodles. This business would prepare better healthy noodles.

Daniel Smothers and Justin Cucuzza made up the fourth group, in which they would create customized pens; the name of the business would be Smothers Pens.

The final group was All or Muffin, created by Brianna Ladnier and Jackson Sparkman, who sought to create healthy sweets.

Brianna Ladnier was proud of every individual involved in the competition. “I was inspired by the general lack of options for those with dietary restrictions. I was vegetarian for four years, so I knew how hard it was to find options. In my experience, I loved the entire process of the Business Plan Competition. Although there are areas that could improve, overall it was executed extremely well. I’m so incredibly proud of all the work everyone, especially Dr. Hester put into it.” Ladnier explained.
Throughout the competition, each of these teams took the stage to voice their business plans and how they would make them happen with thorough explanations. Each team was given 15 minutes for each of their presentations.

Each of the judges, Mr, Mounger, Mr, Wessel and Mr. Haynes, scored the teams and announced the three top places who would receive the scholarship money.

In third place was All or Muffin by Brianna Ladnier and Jackson Sparkman; they were awarded $750 each. In second place was Smothers Pens by Daniel Smothers and Justin Cucuzza where they were awarded $1,500 each. In first place was Oodles of Noodles by Sydney Matriascano, Mariana Strawn, and Griffin Stewart where they were awarded $3000 each.

The Oodles of Noodles team were humbled by their first plan win, “Speaking on behalf of the Oodles of Noodles team, we were so humbled to win. And over the mood excited! It was absolutely breathtaking to see our hard work to pay off, and we highly encourage everyone to participate next year,” Sydney Matriascano stated.

The first annual Business Plan Competition inspired rising juniors to want to enter and pursue the scholarship awards.

“I cannot wait to participate next year, seeing everyone on stage with their ideas and dream really inspired me to believe I can actually do it. It won’t be easy, I know but there’s nothing wrong with giving your all and trying especially when it’s a possibility of getting a scholarship!” Sidney Mason explained.