Mock Trial Teams Advance to State

Courtesy of Heath Stevens

Both MSMS Mock Trial Teams will be advancing to state competition.

Michelle Luo, Staff Writer

Both mock trial teams from MSMS will be moving on to the state-level following success at the regional Mississippi Bar Young Lawyers Division mock trial competition in Oxford this past Saturday, Feb. 3.

Mock trial is a class at MSMS, and each student enrolled in the class participates in the competition. The MSMS mock trial teams are coached by Columbus district attorney Scott Colom.

This year, Team A was composed of mock trial students Peter Nguyen, Hayden Stokley, Mariat Thankachan, Campbell Rolph, Aurelia Caine, Kennedy LaPorte, Reyhan Grimes, Trinity Cannon and Mariana Strawn. Team B was composed of students Lauren Mitchell, Kelsey Hollingsworth, Mia Parker, Powers Lamb, Samantha Anderson, Ta’Kiya Moore, Tija Johnson, Victoria Gong and Taniya Bland.

Practice began at the beginning of the year. The teams practiced with a different case until the 2018 rules and YLD case were released last October. The case used for competition was a Harry Potter themed murder trial. The witnesses and characters include a booth attendant, one of the victim’s associates, the victim’s sibling, a local drug dealer, a retired detective and the actual police detective, all with names based on Harry Potter characters. On each team, three students were lawyers, three were witnesses, two were alternates, and one was a timekeeper. Colom suggested questions for cross-examination, opening and closing remarks for each character.

At the competition, the teams could either take a “defense” side or the “state” side each round, flipping a coin to decide which side to portray. The defense side defends the accused, while the state side represents the victim. Roles and arguments changed depending on the side taken. The teams played two of three rounds. Both MSMS teams participated in the morning and afternoon round, while a bye-round was played by different schools.

“I’m glad we didn’t get picked for the bye-round because then we wouldn’t get to eat lunch,” said junior Lauren Mitchell. Mock trial students went out for frozen yogurt and lunch between rounds.

Winning both of their rounds, the MSMS teams received high individual and overall scores from the three judges. Numerous MSMS students won individual awards for their roles.

Mock trial students enjoyed the experience.

“I was really nervous about the class. But then I realized it was the best thing I’ve done since coming to MSMS. I’m really excited about going to state,” said junior Mia Parker.

Seven teams total attended the competition. Four will move on to the state mock trial competition. Both of MSMS’s teams will be moving on to state as well as both of Oxford High School’s teams. One of Cleveland Central High School’s teams is an alternate.

“Oxford was really good. I really enjoyed going against them,” said Mitchell.

The state competition will be March 3 at Hinds Community College near Jackson.