Students Hand out Loaves and Fishes

Vivienne Tenev

Student volunteers in front of the Loaves and Fishes building. Pictured from left to right: Keely Brewer, River Gordon, Ariana Robinson, Anjeli Hoskins, and Mia Parker

Vivienne Tenev, Graphics Editor, Cartoonist

Last Monday, seven MSMS students volunteered at the Loaves and Fishes Soup Kitchen of Columbus and spent about two hours helping to serve lunch to anyone who stopped by.

Senior Mariat Thankachan, the coordinator of the event said, “SGA cabinet organizes community service opportunities for our students in an effort to help uphold our school’s ideals. We believe that our students lending a hand to projects like Loaves & Fishes can not only contribute to the betterment of the community, but also build the students’ character and awareness of community needs.”

After donning aprons and plastic gloves, the volunteers received their instructions. Each volunteer chose a table that they would attend to. Their job consisted of distributing drinks and food, making sure everybody was content and clearing off tables.

Senior Anjeli Hoskins, the student body communications director was part of the group that participated in serving at Loaves and Fishes. This was her first time participating in Loaves and Fishes, and she said that the opportunity left her with a “fresh perspective of what it means to be on need on today’s society.” She said, “I saw any people with cell phones and name brand clothing. I personally do not know anyone’s situation but seeing them made me more fortunate of what I have and more aware of what should be more important in life.”

Junior Ariana Robinson said that while she has helped distribute food at events, this was her first experience serving for community service. She volunteered as a way to “give back to the community.” She said, “I always loved helping other people and giving back to the community.” Robinson summarized her experience as “really nice” and “really reaching out to the community.”

This was not the first time MSMS has organized a trip to Loaves and Fishes; student volunteers have participated in the past and Thankachan says that there are plans for students to “participate in many more.”