Hairston: A Night in Wonderland

The+students+as+they+dance+the+night+away+at+winter+formal.+

Dr. Stevens

The students as they dance the night away at winter formal.

Nique Hairston, Staff Writer

On December 2, 2017 The Mississippi School for Math and Science hosted their annual Winter Formal. Though it wasn’t mandatory to come, mostly all of the students got dolled up to enjoy a night full of fun with their friends. In my opinion, nobody was half stepping in any departments whether it was hair, shoes, attire, etc. Everyone looked their best.

Dr. Stevens welcomed all the students at the entrance of the ball to have a professional picture of themselves taken which I felt set the vibe that they were about the have a good time.

The next room led us to the dining room and tables where more picture could be taken.

There was a wide variety of food. With this being a diverse school a lot of students don’t relate in the same tastes but with all of the food types that were displayed Saturday everyone should’ve had a dish of their satisfactory. The food ranged from pizza, a variety of fried rice, different types of rotel, chicken wings (hot, BBQ and ranch), cold and warm pastas, fruits, and a huge variety of desserts. Students also enjoyed the drinks, including the tea fountain which went along with the elegant theme of the ball.

This section downstairs was for students to socialize and enjoy the foods of their choices which I thought was neat. Upstairs is where the dance was held. A table of staff members greeted the students at the top of the stairs to receive our tickets and also allow us to vote for formal King, Queen, Princess and Prince. The music met us at the door. Everyone was piled into the middle of the dance floor dancing to music. It was interesting to see the diverse dancing styles amongst the students. There was rarely anyone sitting down.

Personally, the music wasn’t as diverse and hype as I would’ve wanted it to be. But overall, it was night worth remembering.