Tronox Guests Speak to Engineering Club

Arin Kelly, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, November 28th, guest speakers from Tronox came to attend and speak at the engineering club.

Tronox is a titanium dioxide chemical manufacturing plant that has a branch in Hamilton, Mississippi. Titanium dioxide chemical is the white pigment used in most paints. Tronox is becoming the largest producer of titanium dioxide.

Tronox sent an electrical engineer, a chemical engineer and a co-op student to discuss their job and responsibilities in the company.

The president of engineering club, Daniel Smothers said, “I thought the speakers had a lot to say. They gave useful information and I believe the other students enjoyed it.”

The speakers spoke to the club a little about the process of mining the raw minerals from mines in Africa, the process of shipping them over here, and the process of manufacturing the minerals to produce them to meet the quality they want it to be for sales.  

Smothers also said, “Our guest speakers were very open to any questions being asked, and were very eager to speak to us.”

“I thought it was an awesome opportunity to hear from them. And I found it really cool that they had a co-op student come speak with us also we got to hear that point of view. They also mentioned the possibility of us coming to tour their plant in the near future and I think that would be a really cool experience,” said Calisa Henry, a senior member of the engineering club.

“It was really cool to hear the voice of the people in a manager and co-op position, both of which are things I aspire to do,” said junior member, Hunter Ladner.

After speaking with the students, The guests from Tronox have invited the engineering club to go take a plant tour of their facilities. The speakers also mentioned that they would be willing to mentor any who is interested in a career in engineering.