MSMS Students Desperate to Hear Desperation Road with Michael Farris Smith

Kerrigan Clark

The MSMS Contemporary Literature Class read Desperation Road written by Michael Farris Smith.

Kerrigan Clark, Photography Editor

A mass of students filed into Hooper Auditorium as they awaited the arrival of Michael Farris Smith, the author of Desperation Road, to enter and begin to discuss his book.  

Smith, a native Mississippian who currently lives in Columbus and works at Mississippi University for Women, has won several awards throughout Mississippi and Alabama.

Smith was enthusiastic as he got ready to discuss his book with the MSMS Contemporary Literature class, taught by Thomas Easterling.  Before he began discussing the book, though, junior Aaron Montgomery asked if Smith could read a particular portion of his book to the class.  Afterward, Smith began discussing and giving his own interpretation of the passage in the book that he had read.  Smith says that he enjoyed reading this section of the book, which he had never heard out loud, and the third person view that he had read.  “The book made me think of home and how I feel about the people that are going through a hard time that you might see on the side of the road and how you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover.  Because you never know how that person got there.  The author of this book gave everyone perspective and how he portrays the character provider for herself and her child.”, said Junior Aaron Montgomery.

Students were intrigued by Smith’s discussion, which inspired many thoughtful questions among students.  One question discussed Smith’sl; interpretation of the characters in the book and whether they were protagonists or antagonists.  He discussed with the class that he felt as if these two characters in the book are not at all bad people but are trying.  

Smith had humor when he discussed certain questions with the class, but he still continues to have his seriousness.  As the class continued to ask questions, everyone became more and more involved in the conversation with Smith.  

As the discussion continued, more and more students asked Smith questions about Desperation Road.  As students who have read and analyzed the book between ourselves, it is amazing to see how Smith analyzed his own words and helped us to enter his head and invision what he was thinking when he wrote this book.  

Smith discussed his infatuation with William Faulkner and how he inspired him to write because of how Faulkner came from a small town and showed everyone that he could make it and that is how he realized he could make it and write what he wanted to write. “I wrote the book because I was inspired by the woman and the girl walking down the side of the road in a small town.  I wanted to see their story and see what they had been through.” Smith said.

The class enjoyed analyzing Smith’s book and being able to see what he was thinking and to have the same mindset of him and the characters in the book.  With everyone participating and enjoying themselves with Smith, the discussion on Desperation Road was deemed a success.  “I have worked with Smith for a long time and I know he has a great way with students.  Smith appreciated the fact that he was asked questions.” said Thomas Easterling.