Soccer Teams Suffer Defeats Against New Hope Trojans

Arin Kelly

MSMS Lady waves fighting for a victory.

Timothy Lewis, Staff Writer

The Lady Waves’ soccer team lost 3-1 to the New Hope Trojans last Thursday in a close game.

The first goal of the game came from the Trojans, raising fears of a quick victory for New Hope. Fortunately for the Lady Waves, junior Erin Williams managed to score soon after.

By the end of the first half, the two teams were still tied 1-1; however, the Trojans were able to push through the Waves’ defense and managed to score two more times in the second half, giving themselves a comfortable lead and an eventual win.

Chuck Yarborough, the girls’ soccer coach, felt that the team performed admirably.

“We are continuing to develop our teamwork,” he remarked. “We played well against a solid 5A soccer program, and I’m seeing improvement across the team.”

The Blue Waves, on the other hand, lost by a wider margin, falling 7-1 to the New Hope boys.

Seniors David Thaggard and Daniel Leetran of MSMS were among the many players who battled for possession of the ball early on, and the Waves’ hopes grew when the Trojans fouled in the box for a penalty kick in the first half.

Junior goalie Advaith Sunil of MSMS managed to fend off many a shot from the opposing team, but ultimately, the Waves were unable to gain any significant ground against the team in the latter half of the match, resulting in a tough two-game sweep for New Hope.

I feel like we played well against such a good team,” said Cade Burton, junior player at MSMS, “We had fun, and that’s what really matters.  We had played them before, but this time around we played a much better and much smarter game, technique-wise.”

The MSMS soccer teams plan to open district play at Philadelphia High School on November 30 and look forward to gaining ground in that part of the schedule.