Lady Waves Roll in Opener

MSMS+Lady+Waves+fight+to+keep+possession+of+the+ball.+

Keely Brewer

MSMS Lady Waves fight to keep possession of the ball.

Arin Kelly, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, the Blue Waves and Lady Waves started their official season with a game against Louisville High School.

In the girls’ match, MSMS defeated Louisville High 8-0 at the Columbus Soccer Complex, located in downtown Columbus.

“This game was a great start to what is proving to be a wonderful season. This game was a great way for us to all learn from each other and teach ourselves how to work as a unified team. I am very excited to get to work with this group of very talented girls and can’t wait to see what this season has in store for the MSMS Lady Waves,” junior Mary Hayden Patterson said.

Senior Gabby Kennedy had 2 saves that resulted in the shutout. Senior Sydney Matriciano scored 3 goals and had 1 assist. Junior Madison Wypyski also added 3 goals. Senior Meagan Pittman and junior Mia Riddley scored a goal each with senior A.K. Mynatt adding an assist.

“We couldn’t be more pleased with our performance on opening night,” said head coach Chuck Yarborough. “We’ve been working hard to gel as a squad, and tonight we made some nice strides in our continuing development. And, it is great to see Sydney and Madison both start the season in such grand fashion with a hat-trick each!”

The MSMS Blue Waves’ game ended in a 0-0 draw.

Senior David Thaggard recorded 12 saves throughout the game, one being from a penalty kick.

“Overall, I am very pleased with the effort put forth by all the players,” said head coach Morri Mims. “Although we are an inexperienced team, the boys gave a tremendous effort throughout the entire game. We made adjustments that kept us competitive, and we will work to build in that.”

“There was a lot of good chemistry on the team throughout the game. The team began to slack during the last portion of the first half. During halftime, we had a team talk and did much better the second half. It was a really eye opening beginning of the season because it showed us what we needed to work on as a team, and individually,”  junior Taylor Shamblin added.

The Blue Waves and Lady Waves’ next match is Tuesday, Nov. 14, at Columbus High School.