Koenigsberger Wins Prestigious Teaching Award

Mississippi Department of Education

Mrs. K, along with three other PAEMST state finalists, traveled to Jackson to be recognized at a state board meeting.

Gary Nguyen, News Editor

Mrs. Shae Koenigsberger, or as students like to call her, Mrs. K, was recently recognized as one of the four 2017 state finalists for the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) Program.

Established by the White House in 1983, the PAEMST is known as the highest recognition that a kindergarten through 12th grade mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States.

Beginning the meticulous application for the award last spring, Mrs. K went through a process that required her to record herself in action and write several responses to questions that pertained to how she teaches her subject. With enthusiasm, she recalled Mr. Kishan Patel, MSMS mathematics instructor, assisting her in videoing her Foundations of Higher Mathematics students examining behavior of fish population.

Initially discouraged that her video had not gone the way she had expected it to, Mrs. K hesitantly submitted it with a bit of encouragement from Mr. Patel, who thought the mathematical discourse was beautiful.

Summer came and went and as the first week of school got underway, Mrs. K was shocked to have received news of her recognition as a state finalist. Her humble character kept her achievement behind closed doors until she traveled to a state board meeting in Jackson to meet State Superintendent Dr. Wright and the school board with Mrs. Kelly Brown, the school’s Director for Academic Affairs, and Dr. Germain McConnell, MSMS Executive Director.

Mrs. K is currently waiting to hear word of the results of the next round in the selection process, of which is between her and a middle school teacher from Germantown Middle School in Jackson.

“I feel the significance of this award demonstrates to my students that I still challenge myself,” Mrs. K stated. “Demonstrating to students the idea of a life-long learner is very important to me. My favorite quote is from John Dewey: ‘Education is not a preparation for life. Education is life itself!’ This has been part of my teaching philosophy since I first began, and being an example to students as a learner shows that education never stops.”

Over her 11 years as a teacher, Mrs. K has shown nothing less than passion and dedication. Heading into her 6th year as an MSMS faculty member, Mrs. K has played significant roles in organizing workshops and presenting at conferences, all while juggling lesson plans for all her classes and keeping her students engaged. Her commitment and attitude when approaching her job has helped her become a beloved colleague and teacher.

Mrs. Lauren Zarandona, who was the 2015 recipient for the PAEMST, nominated Mrs. K for the same prestigious award. “I think she’s very thoughtful in every aspect of the lessons that she plans. She knows what she wants students to learn and comes at it from lots of different perspectives, so that every kid has a chance to understand it,” Zarandona stated about her co-worker.

Mrs. Brown had similar praise for Mrs. K’s teaching qualities.

“She is a force in the classroom that I don’t think people realize the depth of her knowledge in mathematics and her ability to figure out how students think about mathematics and the best way to teach them what they don’t grasp right away. She never has a classroom that’s empty; there are always students in there. She’s always working, always trying to better herself and her students. She and I talk a lot about being lifelong learners, and I love it that she’s committed to it.”

So committed, in fact, that she had almost decided not to attend the state board meeting until Mrs. Brown had convinced her to go.

Some of her students couldn’t agree more with her level of dedication, like senior Aidan Dunkelberg who is currently taking her AP Calculus II class this semester.

“I can tell you why I personally love her as a teacher,” Dunkelberg commented. “She comes in every morning with a smile on her face, jazzed about whatever she’s about to teach, and I’m probably less than half awake most mornings, but she manages to wake the whole class up and get us engaged, and I think that kind of passion is something that, you know, makes every part of her teaching more effective.”

Dr. McConnell also shared his pride in how Mrs. K’s achievement impacts the reputation of the faculty here at MSMS.

“One of the things that we focus on is teacher leadership. Those teachers who are not just great at what they do in the classroom for their students but are also willing to share with other teachers. Mrs. K, along with Mrs. Zarandona and others, are presenting at conferences, workshops; they’re engaged and they want to share great things that they do. She is a teacher leader, and all of that makes a difference when it comes to these national awards. It’s not just about what you do for your students, but how are you impacting other students that other teachers teach. That’s really where MSMS is expanding,” McConnell explained.

Mrs. K will be notified whether her application has made it to the national level in August 2018.