Let’s Say “Bienvenue” to this Year’s French Club

Elle Smith

This year’s French Club members pose for a group photo.

Timothy Lewis, Staff Writer

The MSMS French Club convened their first meeting for the academic year last Monday.

The first topic on the agenda was the club’s officer elections. Morgan Emokpae, a junior, was elected the club’s vice president unanimously, with Margaret “Maggie “ Rennie, a senior, serving as the club’s secretary.  However, the club also discussed other topics, such as plans for “French Week” this year.

French Week is a week where the French culture is promoted school-wide, with French pastries and games available for any student to participate in.

Last year, a miming contest was held for French Week, along with a scavenger hunt for entertainment. The club also baked crêpes, along with other popular French foods. “We want French week to be this really fun week where everyone can enjoy themselves,” remarked Rennie.

Mrs. Pierce, the club sponsor and the MSMS French teacher, also wants to put on a play for elementary students in the French language, in order to expose them to the culture. Possible choices for the children’s play included “Hansel and Gretel” and “Goldilocks,” among others.  High school students also can benefit from the French Club, as the club wants to be able to offer tutoring services for any French I, II, or III student struggling in class. Mrs. Pierce also wants to encourage students to join the club’s respective society.

“One of the club’s main purposes is to raise awareness for the French Honors Society,” “We want to be able to induct a lot of students into it this year.”

The French Club looks forward to being able to offer a diverse and interactive experience of the French culture for the 2017-2018 school year.