What The Health: Much Better than the Documentary

Medical+equipment+is+presented+by+James+Jourdan.+

Timothy Lewis

Medical equipment is presented by James Jourdan.

Kevin Liao, Assistant Opinion Editor

Frazer Residential Assistant James Jourdan conducted a wellness seminar called “What The Health” in Frazer lobby on September 19 at 9:00 pm. In this seminar, Jourdan showed students many common medical devices and how to use them. He had a variety of devices that students may have seen before in their doctor visits but are not familiar with.

“I’ve never known what a stethoscope was called. I also saw some ones that I’ve never seen before such as a catheter,” stated senior Jordan Stone.

Students also received hands-on experience with the variety of equipment, allowing them to learn about how the medical field works.

“I’ve never gotten to hear a heartbeat with a stethoscope in person before. The hands-on experience was really cool, especially because I have plans on going into the medical field,” stated senior Leigh Motes.

After having students try the stethoscope, Jourdan showed students how a feeding tube worked and how the tubes keep people who are in critical condition alive.

“I wanted to use my nursing training to show students some of the tools of the modern medical field and hopefully inspire at least one person to go into the medical field,” explained Jordan on the purpose of the seminar.