Teacher Spotlight: Dr. Bill Odom

De'Arius Jefferson

Dr. Odom in his office.

De'Arius Jefferson, Staff Writer

This week’s teacher spotlight shines on Dr. Bill Odom, or as his students call him, Dr. O.

Dr. Odom has been teaching at the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science since August of 1996.

Though he was born in Jackson, Mississippi, Odom grew up in New Orleans, a fact demonstrated by his love for seafood.

Dr. Odom’s favorite subject is Biology, but his first trade is Biochemistry. His favorite color is green and his favorite coffee is Peet’s Uzuri.

Dr. Odom received his undergraduate degree at the University of New Orleans. He started his graduate program at the University of Southern Mississippi and later transferred to Louisiana State University to receive his PhD.  He did his postdoctoral research with NASA at Kansas State University in the Little Apple, by doing experiments on the shuttle.

Dr. Odom was attracted to MSMS because of the promise of higher education for youth and the chance to be closer to home and family.

Dr. Odom has not always only been a science teacher. He was originally the soccer coach at MSMS for over a decade. He says, “I’m really looking forward to soccer. It’s important to interact with students outside of the classroom as well as in.”

He also sponsors a great deal of MSMS student organizations, such as GSA, SEAL, Gardening club, Ping Pong club, Ultimate Frisbee and the Middle School Science Bowl.

“He is a fantastic teacher and a great person to work with,” Mrs. Kaye Truitt, Chemistry instructor, stated.

“If only he had come to MSMS in 1994 instead of 1996, he could’ve been my Biology teacher,” Dr. Elizabeth Morgan, Chemistry instructor, explained.