Students Volunteer at Operation Ukraine

Kathy Cadden

Students volunteered to clean water buckets for Operation Ukraine on Saturday

Hayden Stokley, Student Life Editor

Last Saturday morning, approximately 30 MSMS students filed outside to begin a morning of volunteer work. They walked to the Operation Ukraine supplies warehouse, a Columbus-based nonprofit organization that focuses on relief efforts around the globe.

The organization was founded by Kathy Cadden, and its mission is to collect and distribute vital materials to areas in need of assistance. 

A worker for Operation Ukraine described the nonprofit’s mission. He said, “It was started to support an orphanage in Ukraine. We started to send all kinds of medical stuff, clothes, and everything people can use. From Ukraine, to Haiti, to Memphis and Jackson to the National Guard and the Air Force. Now, all the relief effort we can do goes to Texas and Louisiana.”

This week, their goals were focused on providing aid to victims of Hurricane Harvey and Irma in impacted areas. One of their most precious resources was buckets.

The volunteer that MSMS students worked with stated that, “Those buckets are probably more valuable than anything we send. They carry water and wash clothes- most don’t have running water. These buckets really come in handy. A world of buckets come out of here.”

Students were given the job of opening, cleaning, and stacking recycled juice concentrate containers. Donated from local beverage companies, these buckets came drenched in colorful pigments that required washing. Volunteers were tasked with sloughing off the residue on the white buckets and others were in charge of drying them.

MSMS senior and Student Body Communications Director, Anjeli Hoskins, described the relief efforts, saying, “We clean buckets so that people in Florida and Houston, Texas can have supplies to help rebuild their homes. It was very messy, but rewarding and fulfilling.”

The presidential cabinet of the student body has indicated their focus on service for the year ahead. Operation Ukraine is just one of the many community outreach events that MSMS students hope to participate in.

Everyone was hard at work throughout the morning. In the end, they cleaned 185 buckets that will be sent to aid hurricane victims across the U.S.

When speaking about MSMS students’ efforts, the nonprofit’s worker remarked, “Everybody was just working like crazy.”

Another participant, senior Shuchi Patel, said, “Today was fun. I did Operation Ukraine last year, and I really enjoy it. I think it’s a good purpose to help those in need.”

When asked what to say to students when considering whether or not to participate next time, Shuchi immediately exclaimed, “Volunteer!”