Robotics Team Gears Up for New Competition

The newly formed robotics team stands outside Cophia-Lincoln Community College, awaiting the reveal of the

The newly formed robotics team stands outside Cophia-Lincoln Community College, awaiting the reveal of the "game"- the competition their robot will participate in.

Photo Courtesy of Thomas Robinson.

Photo Courtesy of Thomas Robinson.

Photo Courtesy of Thomas Robinson.

Brady Suttles, Assistant News Editor

The newly-assembled MSMS robotics team left early Saturday morning for their first kickoff. The team departed around 4:45 a.m. en route to Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Brookhaven, Mississippi for the game reveal, which informed the team of what kind of robot they would need to craft for the upcoming competition.

“We all got up really early and left around 4:45. Everyone enjoyed the trip, and we met a lot of other teams,” Team Captain Jim Zhang expresses. “It was really cool seeing how expansive robotics is across the state of Mississippi, something you wouldn’t really expect.”

The team has worked vigorously on the model upon returning. The game for this year is relic recovery. The robot must be able to pick up certain objects and place them in designated areas. Each member has contributed around the clock, just not past 12:00 a.m., on their role in the robot.

Junior Sophia Pepper commented on the progress being made on the robot.

“We do have almost our full robot design, but we’re still working out the specifics on what each thing is made of and how big one thing is in correlation with everything around it,” Pepper says.

At kickoff, there was a session focusing on outreach in robotics. The speaker brought up an idea about including girl scouts in future outreach programs. Through this opportunity with the girl scouts, MSMS  can take the initiative to support females in STEM.  

Zhang expressed the opportunities available with robotics.

“We want this to be more about building robots. We want this to be about representing MSMS throughout the state.”

However, to get out into the community to spread the message about MSMS, the robotics team needs support from the school. The team discussed holding different fundraisers, including selling cookies, World’s Finest Chocolate and MSMS head keychains that can be made using the 3D printer.

Junior Devin Chen joined the team to pursue something he had always wanted to do. Although Chen has no experience with robotics, he is still excited and even extends the invitation to other students who are not a part of the team.

“Even if you don’t know any robotics like me, you can still join because there is always a position for you. There is always something for you to do.”

The team is composed of members from different robotics backgrounds. Pepper has competed in a program called VEX. Other members have competed in programs like Sea Perch and FTC. Because of the diverse community at MSMS, the school may have an advantage over others in the field of robotics, since they have been exposed to more styles than others.

The team will be working strenuously for the qualifier held on December 16. Team members encourage their fellow students to support them in any way they can so the team can represent MSMS throughout the state.

Brady Suttles, News Editor

Brady Suttles, a senior at MSMS hailing from Meridian, MS, is the returning News Editor for The Vision. When he isn't rapidly editing articles and asserting...