Financial Aid Workshop Fills Important Need

Elizabeth Smith

Dr. Crook and Dr. Stevens instruct students in the annual Financial Aid Workshop.

Yousef Abu-Salah, Co-Editor in Chief

Every year, a special workshop is held at MSMS which deals one of the most prominent problems that MSMS seniors currently face: financial aid. As one of the largest issues deemed by the majority of MSMS students, this affects nearly all students. MSMS seniors and juniors alike lined up in front of Hooper Auditorium Wednesday in order to hopefully gain some valuable knowledge at this workshop.

The importance of this workshop was made plain by Dr. Stevens, who presented the information and the presentation as a whole along with Dr. Crook. “Students want to go to college. College costs money. This presentation helps students find money for college,” Dr. Stevens stated.

In the workshop, students were introduced to various scholarship programs and other important college resources, such as FAFSA and QuestBridge. Throughout the workshop, students were encouraged to always apply for scholarships, and they were informed of many peculiar and less-known scholarships that they would have a high chance of qualifying for. “Students should take away that finding scholarship dollars is an intensive process that they must engage in. Money will not fall in their laps. They have to go after it,” Dr. Crook stated

Following the workshop, many students were very excited for all of the new knowledge they acquired from Stevens and Crook. “It has definitely made me more aware of the scholarships available on multiple different levels. Furthermore, I have been informed of multiple different sources from which I can find endless opportunities for scholarships. I am truly thankful for the experience, and I now look forward to apply to all of the scholarships that I learned about,” MSMS senior Harpreet Singh stated.

This workshop has become an annual necessity for all MSMS students, providing them with the knowledge to be prepared for the most important journey of their lives.