Alumni Spotlight Tyra Ivory

Contributed Photo

Tyra Ivory has moved on from MSMS to Xavier University, where she conducts research in colorectal cancer.

Nique Hairston, Staff

Tyra Ivory is an alumna of MSMS and is a part of the graduating class of 2014. She’s from Macon, Mississippi and is currently a senior at Xavier University of Louisiana where she is studying biology with a minor in chemistry.

She has served as Miss Sophomore and Junior Class Treasurer. Tyra also conducted colorectal cancer research at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center last summer for eight weeks. She now works as a medical scribe.

She says, “I shadow physicians during 8-11 hour shifts in the emergency department and I also do the clerical work for each patient visit.”

She stated, “I have been a recipient of many scholarships such as the Hank Aaron Chasing the dream 4 for 4 Scholar & Lettie Pate Whitehead scholar.”

She was a project coordinator for her own after school mentoring program called Teaching Of Young Children. This was a program where she went to an after school daycare and helped students of all ages with homework, technology and life in general.

She stated, “My next step is to gain acceptance into medical school and reside back in Macon because I feel Macon like all other rural and underprivileged towns lack proper health care access.”