MSMS Analyzes Its Safety in Annual Columbus-Wide Disaster Exercise

Dev Jaiswal

Students took shelter inside the classrooms during the simulated chemical spill drill.

Dev Jaiswal, Copy Editor

On Thursday, September 7, MSMS and MUW reviewed their safety equipment and procedures as part of a Columbus-wide safety drill. This year’s drill involved a simulated chemical spill. In years past, practiced simulations involved a train wreck, an active shooter and a bomb. The exercise took place near the Columbus hospital so that the facility could test its new decontamination equipment. This is the first year that the exercise has not taken place on the MUW campus.

Columbus performs this exercise to allow agencies to practice incorporating their safety systems and procedures in order to ensure that they are prepared if an actual crisis were to occur. MUW decided to have a shelter-in-place drill for the event. So as to not interfere with instruction, MSMS decided to simulate the shelter-in-place drill procedures instead of going through the entire process. The MSMS administration will talk this week about what insights were gained from participating in the exercise.  

MSMS takes numerous steps in ensuring the safety of its students. Exercises and drills are performed every month, rotating through each MSMS building. Every employee goes through emergency situation training, and communication through emergency alert text messaging is vital.

“It is vital that when we have these drills or, per se, we have a situation that arises, that everybody takes it seriously,” commented Frazer Hall Director Mr. Hansel Jackson.

Communication depends on where one is located on campus. Hooper has a bell system in place, and every teacher has a key explaining what each sound means. If a student is not located in an academic building, a member of the residential life staff or in the cafeteria will ensure their safety. Colored cards are also used in the residence halls to keep track of the whereabouts of students.

School administrators, such as Mr. Rick Smith, stressed the importance of safety at MSMS. “Our first responsibility to our students is to keep them safe,” said Mr. Smith, Director for Student Affairs. Mr. Smith also wished to remind students that rules are in place for their safety.

Mrs. Kelly Brown, Director for Academic Affairs, urged students to be conscious of their whereabouts, to know who they are around, and to always think before acting.

“Everyone should be aware of where they are and know that they are in control of their own destiny,”  stated Mrs. Brown.

As part of the monthly rotation of drills, MSMS will participate in the National Earthquake Drill in October.