Volunteers Uphold the MSMS Ideal of Service

Lukas Flippo

MSMS student volunteers served the Columbus community on Saturday.

Mariat Thankachan, Co-Editor In Chief

One of the influential pillars of MSMS that students strive to champion is service. As September is National Suicide Awareness Month, Contact Helpline hosted a 5K Walk/Run in the downtown area of Columbus in order to spread knowledge about the impact suicide has on our community, state and nation. Several MSMS students participated in the event taking place on Saturday.

Holding water bottles and encouraging posters, the volunteers provided needed support for the racers moving for a great cause.

Senior Alana Andrus served as a guide and describes her experience.

“I think seeing all these people out running for such an amazing cause gives insight to how many people may have been affected by suicide. Seeing everyone running inspired me to do more for this cause, even if it is taking a walk/run on a brisk Saturday morning. I learned there was a suicide hotline here in Columbus, and that when you put your mind to it, you CAN run a 5K/10K. The biggest takeaway was seeing how many people can be there for you if you just speak up,” Andrus explains.

Contact Helpline has hosted this walk for the past couple of years to honor New Hope High School student, Christopher Hope, who committed suicide at the age of eighteen. The event brings families and communities together in memory of the young man.

MSMS students learned about this community service opportunity through Ms. LaToya Bledsoe, Goen Residential Hall Director.

“I am a strong advocate for giving back and serving others. I love giving our students various community service/ volunteer opportunities to serve in the Columbus/ Lowndes County area. Most local residents of Columbus has never heard of MSMS, and this is my way of making sure they are aware that this special place exists and that our students are the best of the best,” Bledsoe states.

The event also represents a fundraiser and the proceeds of the race will be donated to Contact Helpline.