Gaming Club Lays Down Strategy

Timothy Lewis

Dr. Hester explains “Dominion” to a group of “clueless” club members.

Timothy Lewis, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, the Analog Gaming Club met for its first time during the 2017-2018 school year.  Approximately 30 students, mostly juniors, were among the ranks of those attending the meeting.

The club’s officers present at the meeting were Presidents Matthew Bailey and Kennedy LaPorte.  Bailey and LaPorte commenced the gathering by laying out their plans for the upcoming school year—including a Dungeons and Dragons campaign—and concluded by inviting all those attending to the Shackleford auditorium to play some board games.

The meeting was held at the room of one of the club’s sponsors, Dr. Kayla Hester, who said she wanted to offer the club more time to meet. Previously, the only times the gaming club could meet would be on Friday evenings, and even then only once a month.

Dr. Hester says she wants the club to be “an outlet of stress relief,” and wants to offer the students time to “just play games and have fun,” offering a welcome environment for tired and stressed MSMS students.

Some of the games Dr. Hester enjoys playing are “Settlers of Catan” and “Dominion,” both historical strategy games.  Others in the group enjoy card games such as “Uno” and “Go Fish.”

All students are welcome to join the club, regardless of their taste in board or card games.  Club members are also encouraged to bring their own games so as to offer more variety.