The New Era of Strings Club

Dev Jaiswal

Officers Aidan Dunkelberg and Alana Andrus lead the interest meeting.

Sage Schaumburg, Staff Writer

The MSMS Strings Club is back at it again, serenading students with their songs.

Beginning their eleventh year, the Strings Club held an interest meeting on Thursday, August 24.  Not many new individuals made the meeting due to various other clubs gathering at the same time, but President Aidan Dunkelberg is not deterred.

When asked how he would generate more interest in the club, Dunkelberg said, “What I need to do is talk to people that I know play other string instruments or other instruments that are not strings but have traditionally participated in Strings Club because they probably don’t know that they can participate.”

Members encourage musically talented juniors (and seniors) should be on the look-out for this tall violinist.

The club discussed its many plans for the year as well as the various activities and events that occurred last year.

Alana Andrus, Treasurer of Strings Club, is very passionate about the All-State String Orchestra. “We learned so much. You don’t just show up and play songs; they teach you things that can help you improve your technique.”

Last year MSMS sent every member of Strings Club that applied to All-State.

The group also performed at a retirement home, the MSMS Christmas Concert, The 8th of May program and the 9/11 program.

Plans for this year include more community events, such as the performance at the retirement home, the 9/11 program and All-State, and the possibility of a Christmas Concert fundraiser.  There may even be a musical flash mob in the future.

“I feel like this is going to be a great year for Strings Club; I feel like we’re going to get the chance to do a lot of new things. If you have ideas, please talk to us,” says Dunkelberg.

Under the watch of former sponsor Mr. William Funderburk, the students practiced their music in the nook on the second floor of Hooper. The practices were always fun and laid back, and the seniors hope to keep it this way

“This is really just a time to hang out with people who play string instruments,” says Andrus.

However, things are bound to be a little different under new sponsor Ms. Dawn Barham.  She states her love of stringed instruments while holding her guitar. “I’m proud to have inherited the Strings Club from a friend of mine and my former colleague, Mr. Funderburk. He did a great job with them, and I’m looking forward to hearing great things from them.”