Seniors Give Tips for Juniors

Keely+Brewer%2C+emissary%2C+poses+with+juniors+Michelle+Luo%2C+River+Gordon%2C+Likhitha+Polepalli+and+Indu+Nandula.+

Keely Brewer

Keely Brewer, emissary, poses with juniors Michelle Luo, River Gordon, Likhitha Polepalli and Indu Nandula.

Hayden Stokley, Student Life Editor

The first full week of classes has officially been completed at The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science. Now that the year is in full swing, many juniors are discovering how truly dedicated they must be to succeed. With the average student’s daily itinerary packed with classes, extracurriculars and newly-assigned work service, the rush to complete every task is often a challenge in itself.

Nevertheless, take comfort in knowing that there is a supportive community at every turn–all offering tips and their own perspectives on their experience here at MSMS. Compiled below are a list of tips for juniors offered by seniors to ensure this year is the greatest it can be.

Senior Pal Patel assures the Class of 2019, “Balance is key. Know when you need to take a break or when you need to study and push yourself further.” It may seem overwhelming at first. MSMS offers a diverse variety of ways to spend your time. Utilize these activities, but don’t neglect your academics- or vice versa.

Mariana Strawn, another senior, says, “Always try to be on top of your studies. Do things in advance if possible in case anything comes up.” Keeping a steady schedule of studying, homework, and reading assignments ensures you won’t wait until the night before to frantically cram for multiple tests the next day. Your grades, and your happiness, will thank you.

In addition to school work, mental health should be an important focus, as well. Ensuring you are eating well, getting outside and exercising and getting adequate sleep is vital to your well-being. Calissa Henry urges juniors, “Sleep is your friend. Never underestimate it.” In addition, senior Drew Lindsay says, “Eat well. Stay hydrated. Don’t depend too much on caffeine.”

The Class of 2019 is already figuring out the key to success at MSMS. Junior Michelle Luo offered great advice to her peers: “Don’t compare yourself to others. The only person you need to be competing against is yourself.”

The school year ahead will be filled with an abundance of personal growth, achievement, and knowledge. The senior class welcomes the juniors and wishes them the best as they embark on this journey of excellence!