MSMS Students Mentoring the Young Adults of America

This+year%2C+30+MSMS+students+will+serve+as+mentors+for+Columbus+youth.+

Kerrigan Clark

This year, 30 MSMS students will serve as mentors for Columbus youth.

Kerrigan Clark, Photography Editor

Thirty MSMS students attended the Boys and Girls Club mentor training on Thursday, August 17th.  The Boys and Girls Club of Columbus is allowing students from MSMS to visit their facility in order to mentor young children.

The Boys and Girls Club is made up of groups of kindergarten through 12th grade students, and the grades are split up into 6 different rooms. Between these classrooms are teachers who have dedicated their time to enriching the lives of kids in Lowndes County. However, the teacher is often unable to have one-on-one interaction with each individual child.

The director, Brittany Turner, addressed the group and began describing the expectations for the program. Turner informed the new mentors that they would be assigned one child to mentor each week. The kids that each mentor will be designated to guide and serve as an example to range from entering kindergarten to fifth grade students.

Their main objective for their time spent mentoring is to give the kids the one-on-one time that they are missing with their teachers–at school or with their teachers at the Boys and Girls Club.  After the kids have completed their homework with the assistance of their student mentor, they are able to play educational games with the MSMS students or go outside to the playground with them.

There appeared to be an enthusiasm that spread throughout the group of mentors and mentees.

Future mentor, Mia Riddley says, “The children looked excited and so was I.  The environment seemed friendly and welcoming.”

All of the mentors were excited after leaving the Boys and Girls Club, and they are ready for their first days on Tuesday, August 22 and Thursday, August 24.