Students Prepare For Europe

Vivienne Tenev

This tour packet previews a trip students will take with Ms. Heintz over Spring Break.

Vivienne Tenev, Graphics Editor, Senior Cartoonist

Though March is still months away, students who are interested in traveling in the annual Spring Break trip — this year to England, Ireland and Wales — are already beginning their travel preparations.

Last Wednesday, MSMS history teacher Julie Heintz held an interest meeting to go over this year’s travel plans through Education First’s tours. Students are promised a visit to a number of exciting landmarks and locations, such as a visit to Blarney Castle, Shakespeare’s birthplace and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. “We’ll go see Buckingham Palace, we’ll check out Big Ben–so lots and lots, of course, to do” Heintz said.

In order to get an idea of what this year’s trip will be like, senior Mary Owings shared her experience on last year’s travels to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. Owings says she signed up to go because she wanted to travel out of the country and had never been to Europe before.

She described a typical, busy day on the trip: “ We started pretty early in the morning, and we had a tour guide who took us on a bus everywhere, and we would go to a city or town and she would walk us around, and then she would make a designated meeting spot and then we would all have free time to do whatever we want, and then we would all meet at the spot at a set time.”

The students arrived back at school late at night on Sunday, but while Owings says she was really tired that day, the late arrival back was not much of a problem.

Owings would “absolutely recommend” the trip to anyone, deeming it “a great experience.”

To prepare for this year’s visit to Europe, Miss Heintz urges travelers to get a passport that will remain valid for at least six months after the group’s return.

Prices can change, so Miss Heintz recommends signing up as soon as possible. The final deadline to sign up for the trip is November 2. Afterwards, a $150 late fee will be added to the price.