Student Spotlight: Angella Osinde

Angella Osinde

Angella Osinde (5th from left) with the SEAL group that went the East Bank Cleanup.

Vivienne Tenev, Assistant Photography Editor

This week’s long overdue student spotlight presents Angella Osinde. Angella works with Baili Zhong as the co-presidents of Student Environmental Awareness League (SEAL).

Being co-president of SEAL is awesome. Baili and I are both passionate about all things environmental, especially proper waste management.” Osinde said.

Part of her job as co-president is to come up with ways to make environmentally beneficial practices easier for students around the school. This year, the SEAL team set up multiple recycling areas in the dorms so that students could have better access to recycling bins.

Osinde is also organizing trips so SEAL can have a more widespread impact on the community. “My favorite part about being Co-President is the excursions. The community service projects are what drive my passion for helping out the environment,” she said.

One of the bigger excursions occurred earlier this year when SEAL went to the East Bank of the Lock and Dam to clean up debris and trash. They collected 24 large trash bags, and a total of 514 pounds of garbage.

Besides her passion for taking care of the planet, Osinde also enjoys musical and artistic pastimes.

I play two instruments: viola and piano. I’ve been playing piano longer so I like it more. A viola easier to carry around, though. I also like to paint and knit. I especially like to knit scarves this time of year,and that’s a hobby I probably wish I had more time to do” Osinde explained.

As for her favorite part about studying at MSMS, Osinde cites the diversity in the student body.

“[At my home school] most students came from similar backgrounds, and had known each other since elementary school–it not like that here at MSMS. We are all living in Mississippi, and have some passion for learning–but other than that–it’s our uniqueness that makes MSMS special.”