Students Create Music Under the Full Moon

Vivienne Tenev

Lillian Fulham (right) helps direct a drum circle.

Vivienne Tenev, Assistant Photography Editor

On November 14th, the night of the supermoon, MSMS students spent their free time after study hours beating drums and shaking maracas and tambourines.

Those who went to this event earned another wellness seminar point for the semester.

The event was organized by senior Lilian Fulgham and her mom, Bonnie Renfroe, who supplied the various percussion instruments provided for the attendants.

Fulgham has had past experience setting up drum circles, and decided to organize one at MSMS since so many students were interested.

So, my mom [Bonnie Renfroe] and I have been drumming for about 9 years, and my mom has recently been hosting drum circles in and around Starkville, usually on the night of the full moon,” Fulgham said. “I asked [MSMS students], and found there to be a HUGE interest [in the drum circle].”

After study hours, the event began. Students who arrived would sign their name on a sheet to receive wellness credit, then choose an instrument to play. The selection included an assortment of drums, tambourines and maracas. Participants were also welcome to forgo the instruments and dance to the music.

The drum circle was deemed a success. About twenty to twenty-five students showed up at the start, with others walking in on the event later.

Junior Kamal Bhalla said she decided to attend the event for the wellness credit, and to spend time with her friends. “I thought it was very intriguing, very lively, with a lot of stuff going on,” Bhalla said.