Getting into the Spirit of Things

Allyson Espy in her Mary Poppins costume.

Mariat Thankachan

Vivienne Tenev, Assistant Photography Editor

In a display of school spirit, MSMS students had the chance to dress up in fun costumes for an entire week of school.

Each day had a different theme: Marvel or Disney characters on Monday, Dynamic Duo or Twin Day on Tuesday, Senior Citizens/Juniors on Wednesday (where seniors dressed like senior citizens and juniors dressed like children), Rapper vs. Rocker day on Thursday (where students cosplayed their favorite band or an original one), and Spirit Day on Friday (where students donned MSMS t-shirts with some even wearing blue and white face paint paint).

Maggie Ford, the senior who announced Spirit Week and each day’s themes, described the process to organize the week-long event. Because the senior class historian is in charge of Spirit Week, Ford and the members of the cabinet set to work on finding appealing ideas. “I talked with a lot of students, and along with my cabinet, decided which days we thought would be the most fun and have the most participation,” Ford explained. Since Ford spent a lot of work making Spirit Week possible, she naturally enjoyed every day. “But I found Senior Citizen day the most fun because I got to unleash my inner grandma,” she admitted.

It seems that the students also enjoyed the costume-filled week.

Allyson Espy participated in three of the five Spirit Week days. She says that she got outfit ideas from past experiences and friends. “I think my favorite [theme day] had to be Monday’s,” Espy said. On this Marvel/Disney theme day, she wore a fancy Mary Poppins outfit. Allyson explains her reasons for participating. “It’s always good to show school spirit, especially when you’re new to a school. It makes everyone come together.”