Senate Election Results

Vivienne Tenev

Campaign Sign for 5th Floor Junior Senator, Nadia Allen

Vivienne Tenev, Assistant Photography Editor

A warm welcome to the new senators of the 2016-2017 MSMS school year! Earlier this week, Elections Commissioner Calvin Hu sent out a list of the senators.

MSMS Senators of 2016-2017

Frazer:

3rd Floor — Baili Zhong, Alex Leise, Jim Zhang, and Harpreet Singh

4th Floor — Uriah Jenkins, Samuel Patterson, Yousef Abu-Salah, and Drew Lindsay

5th Floor — Nayan Chawla, Jax Dallas, Raymond Zeng, and Carey Williams

Goen:

2nd Floor — Morgan Dollar, Reagon Poston, Sukhi Borse, and Mariana Strawn

3rd Floor — Damare Baker, Wrishija Roy, Stephanie Dauber, and Gabby Kennedy

4th Floor — Kaleigh Leiva, Chinwe Udemgba, Regan Conner, and Daudreanna Baker

5th Floor — Vivian Van, Kallia Cooper, Kamal Bhalla, and Nadia Allen

The senators will be meeting once a week to discuss problems that may occur within the student body as well as vote on any new changes to the SGA Constitution and MSMS Handbook. 

Student Government positions at MSMS give the students more power than most other schools offer. This gives students the opportunity to make changes to the school that they feel will benefit others. For this reason, junior fourth floor senator Yousef Abu-Salah, decided to join Senate, saying, “I decided to become a senator, because I felt that I could truly leave my footprint with this position. I could create a real difference with my decisions as a senator, and that is reason alone for me to be a senator.”

Some of the senators already have ideas. Goen fifth floor junior senator, Nadia Allen proposes dress code changes. “I want to try for a shorter short/dress length for academic buildings — nothing too crazy, just like 3 or 4 inches above the knee instead of two — and athletic shorts.”

Senators will also consider the suggestions of other students, so if anyone in the student body has ideas for adding or annulling a rule, he or she can ask the senators to consider the proposal.

At MSMS, students can make a difference!