MSMS Tennis Team Defeats Nettleton in First District Match

MSMS tennis players are getting ready for the games ahead.

Dr. Odom

Rachel Bobo, Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday March 8, MSMS student athletes and student fans were swarming the tennis courts only blocks from campus for the first tennis match of the season. To “swing back into action” as Meilun Zhou, boys’ captain, said, the Blue Waves defeated Nettleton players in a district match. 

“The scores were all very one sided in our favor,” said Zhou. “Several in our team scored 6-0, 6-0 wipeouts where the opposing team didn’t even win a single game.”

In boys’ sets, senior Seth Lee played in singles; seniors Meilun Zhou and Akos Polgar competed in doubles; juniors Noah McKone and John Howell also represented the Blue Waves as doubles partners.  For girls matches, senior and captain Aylin Memili competed in singles; senior Michelle Li and junior Morgan Dollar played in doubles; junior Maggie Ford and Hannah Houston also participated as doubles partners. Senior Om Patel and junior Vivian Van represented the Blue Waves in mixed doubles.

Memili said, “The 2016 tennis team has begun its season with flying colors,” showing her support for the first district win. MSMS students who attended the even also responded positively to the early district win.  

“It was a great game for MSMS,” said senior Dilraj Sidhu. “It was a clear 6-0 sweep which means that everyone won their sets. There was a large turnout for the day and I hope to see even more people at the next game.”  Sidhu is also active in promoting MSMS representation at tennis matches.

Along with Zhou, who emailed other students about the home match, Sidhu encouraged peer support and expressed his wishes to fill the small court-side area and bleachers.  “Last year not a lot of people came out to support the team, and I wanted to change that this year.

“I will attend every home game and will make an effort to attend away games as well,” said Sidhu.

While also welcoming increased fan support and participation, MSMS tennis players are preparing for the rest of the season. “I am excited to see our matches against other schools throughout the next two months,” said Memili.  “The girls and I have worked incredibly hard in our practices and hope to see our work pay off. Our ultimate goal is to reach the state tournament, an event in which I think we are going to perform well in. My expectations for the rest of the year are to keep up the good work and maintain consistency.”

Zhou echoed his co-captain’s sentiments adding, “I look forward to working with everyone as a team. This year seems to be stronger overall compared to the team last year, we have several of the talented seniors guiding the upcoming juniors who are also very talented.”

Due the cancellation of the March 10 home match against New Hope, the tennis team did not get another chance to compete on the courts before Spring Break. On Thursday April 7, the players will face New Hope in a rescheduled match. To continue the 2016 “tradition” of tennis support, MSMS players and fans encourage their peers to come out to the courts again.