MSMS tennis team loses to Heritage Academy in season opener

In+the+opening+match+of+the+2023+tennis+season+against+Heritage+Academy%2C+the+MSMS+Blue+Waves+suffered+a+5-2+defeat.+

Julian Gallo

In the opening match of the 2023 tennis season against Heritage Academy, the MSMS Blue Waves suffered a 5-2 defeat.

Jules Gallo, Staff Writer

The MSMS tennis team opened its spring season with a loss 5-2 to Heritage Academy on Feb. 22.

The team’s singles players both won in straight sets, with junior Sebastian Harvey winning 6-2, 6-2 and senior Blair Diffrient winning 6-2, 6-4. 

The Frazer doubles teams both lost. Doubles one, consisting of seniors Gordon Welch and Nick Popescu, along with doubles two, featuring seniors Andy Liu and Jeremy Dawe, each lost in two sets.

The Goen doubles teams fared similarly, with doubles one junior Iris Xue and senior Kadie Van and doubles two junior Mariane Powell and senior Arika Gardner losing their matches.

Mixed doubles juniors Sai Narla and Sydney Beane also lost in a tiebreak.

Coach Troy King said he hoped for a better outcome.

“I thought we might fair pretty well. The boys are pretty solidified because there were a lot of seniors that came back, so we should be solidified there. But for the girls, the only senior girls I got back were Kadie Van, Blair [Diffrient] and Arika Gardner,” King said.

However, student-athletes said they remain optimistic despite the loss.

“It’s a game of fine margins and we were rusty. We just weren’t accustomed to a match setting. Heritage is a good team, and we just need to recover and do well,” Harvey said.

“I don’t think this first match will set the precedent for the rest of the season,” Powell added.

MSMS faces Starkville High School next at 4 p.m. on Feb. 24 in Starkville.