MSMS sweeps Columbus High in the first match of the season

MSMSs+tennis+team+started+their+season+with+a+win+against+Columbus+High.+

Karlene Deng

MSMS’s tennis team started their season with a win against Columbus High.

Cadi Springer, Staff Writer

On Thursday, March 4 the Blue Waves tennis team traveled down the road to Columbus High School for their first match of the season. The match resulted in a 7-0 win for the Blue Waves. 

In boy’s singles, junior Sam Sun won both sets without losing a game. Junior Vidhi Patel, girl’s singles player and co-captain, also won her match without dropping a game. 

Seniors Hardy Cooke and Luke Bowles also won in their boy’s doubles match, as well as Michael Lu and Jonathan Seid. Gracie Rowland and Bailey Wilson won in girl’s doubles, as did the team’s second doubles team, Kate McElhinney and Weslyn McMurrin.

As far as mixed doubles go, McMurrin and Shanay Desai also left the Columbus High tennis team with a loss on their own court.

Bowles expressed pride in the team’s win.

“Overall, I felt the match went as well as expected. We knew we had a solid chance against a young Columbus team, and we proved that with a solid win,” Bowles said. “We had a few blemishes but nothing that can’t be worked out. I was proud.” 

Hayden Anderson, a junior team member, also expressed pride in his team.

“I felt pretty good about going into the season,” Anderson said. “However, the first game is always going to make me nervous. We started out with our normal warm up and ended up winning 7-0 and had time for practice matches for those on the A team who didn’t get to play. Overall, I’m pretty happy by not only how this match turned out, but also how the next upcoming matches are going to be. It’s going to be an exciting season.”

Following their first win, the Blue Waves’ are optimistic about the season. 

“I look forward to a great season with everyone; everyone enjoyed our first game, and it’s exciting to think about what’s yet to come,” Patel said.