Juniors share excitement, concerns about return to campus

Juniors+have+not+gotten+the+chance+to+experience+MSMS+in-person.+

Courtesy of Thomas Richardson

Juniors have not gotten the chance to experience MSMS in-person.

Luke Bowles, Managing Editor

Juniors are set to return to campus this Saturday, Oct. 17, but the MSMS they move into will be much different than the one many seniors and alumni experienced. 

However, that has not dampened the excitement of many juniors who have yet to live on campus. Junior Nicholas Djedjos shared his thoughts on this opportunity. 

“I am definitely looking forward to returning to campus,” Djedos said. “It feels surreal to finally have the opportunity to see my classmates.” 

Many juniors, like Alexis Tran, shared positive thoughts despite their time on campus being reduced from five to three weeks in order to allow seniors to move on campus before Thanksgiving break. 

“I am so excited to be on campus and meet the people I’ve gotten close to over the internet,” Tran said. “Even though it is only three weeks, I am more than happy to spend any time with the new family I have made.”

Several juniors, such as Djedjos and Nina Patel, stated that their excitement was due to their time on campus being a possible break from the challenges of virtual learning.

“I believe virtual school has taken a toll on us all, and just having the semblance of a normal school year may alleviate some of that stress,” Djedjos said.

“I am not a good virtual learner so coming back to campus is going to help me better my study habits,” Patel said. 

Although Patel is anticipating her return, she still shared reservations about restrictions.

“My biggest concern about coming to campus is that residential life will be restricted,” Patel said. “I understand social distancing but I am still worried about how we get to become a part of the MSMS family.”

Junior Evangalia Guigley expressed her concerns as well.

“Most of the time, it’s a big question of physical health or emotional health,” Guigley said. “Do I go see people and risk getting sick? Or do I lock myself at home, trapped in my own head?”

Some students like Guigley also live with their grandparents or elderly relatives and are therefore concerned about their safety. 

“My biggest concern right now is mostly if I brought back the virus to my house,” Guigley said. “My grandparents live with us. I fear if I bring something like that back, not everyone in our household would make it through. I just pray for the best.”

Nevertheless, several juniors, including Djedjos and Hayden Anderson, expressed understanding and acceptance about restrictions and safety upon returning to campus. 

“They [the restrictions] are tough but necessary,” Djedjos said. “The administration has the health of the students in mind.”

“I feel good [about the restrictions] because I know that it’s for our safety,” Anderson said. “MSMS is trying to protect us. It is what it is.”