Waves roll in Yazoo

Aastha Banga

Seniors Tierah Macon and Samantha Holland attempt to get a Blue Waves score.

Caroline Boltz, Copy Editor

MSMS Blue Waves and Lady Waves traveled to Yazoo County last Thursday for a Class 1, Region 4 soccer match, winning both: 7-0 for the girls and 3-1 for the boys.

During the girls’ game, junior Ashley Mangus netted a hat trick, scoring three goals consecutively. Junior Emily Berry scored two goals as well as two assists, and junior Mandy Anderson had one goal and two assists. Junior Brenna Luff scored a goal as well.

“It was a very productive night on a very sloppy field,” said head coach Chuck Yarborough. “It was great to get such a strong district win on the road and to overcome some adversity in the process!”

Senior Chloe Jackson began playing soccer when she came to MSMS her junior year. She continued to play into her senior and has enjoyed the experience it has given her.

“This soccer season has been pretty good,” Jackson said. “It was definitely not as cold as last year which is good. We have a pretty strong team this year.”

The game moved the Lady Waves to 6-3-1, 3-2 in district.

The boys’ game started shortly after the conclusion of the girl’s game. Junior Trevor Allen led the team with a penalty kick goal (PK) and an assist. Senior JoJo Kaler and junior Jeremiah Hunt each scored a goal, and junior Tejus Kotikalapudi had an assist. 

“After some adjustments at the half, we created many opportunities to score,” said head coach Tim Wood. “I was really proud of the effort across the pitch to bring home the win on the road.”

Allen has been playing soccer long before coming to MSMS; however, playing with a new team has allowed him to get to know other students he otherwise wouldn’t have met.

The season has been good. It has been a lot of fun overall, and I met people that I probably wouldn’t have if I didn’t play,” Allen shared. “I am glad that I am playing here. It allows for me to decompress from school in a way that doesn’t waste my time.” 

The Blue Waves were able to improve to 4-5, 2-3 in district.

Both teams will be taking on St. Andrew’s Friday, Jan. 24,. at Belhaven Bowl Stadium in Jackson. Senior Day will be Saturday Jan. 25 against Yazoo County at the Columbus Soccer complex.