Escapades with the Elderly: Stories of Columbus

Courtesy of Latoya Bledsoe

MSMS Stories of Columbus club visits Trinity Nursing Home to spend time with elderly.

Michelle Li, Sports Editor

For MSMS students interested in spending time with the elderly or hungry for community service hours, Stories of Columbus offers the perfect opportunity.

Founded last spring by Kameron Shook, a current senior at MSMS, Stories of Columbus is a community service club that allows students to travel to local nursing homes such as the Trinity Nursing Home to spend time with the elderly residents there.

Shook said, “The idea of starting a club like this first came to me while I was participating in Tales of the Crypt, a historical performance put on by Mr. Yarborough’s U.S. History students. I really loved researching and learning about my deceased subject’s life, and I thought it would be even cooler if I could talk to and learn from elderly people who were still alive.”

Activities that the students do with the elderly include games and music.

“When we visit, we usually play games with the residents like BINGO and cards. We also play music for them. Joy usually plays piano and they absolutely love that! Basically, the main goal of Stories of Columbus is to bring together the younger generation and the old generation. I feel that there is a lot of wisdom to be found in a nursing home. And the community service hours are also a plus,” continued Shook.

The only complaint members have for the club is that it has not been able to make as many visits as they would like.

Shook said, “We have only been able make two trips so far due to transportation issues with the buses and scheduling conflicts for the members,but I’m hoping that we’ll be able to make a visit sometime near Thanksgiving.”

Shook also hopes that Stories of Columbus will become an MSMS tradition and continue after she graduates. This seems highly likely in her opinion because of the large amount of junior participation this year.

I was really excited that there was a club here that involved community service with the elderly because I adore sweet old people,” said Junior member Kate Shelton. “Last Saturday was one of the most rewarding experiences.  I got to talk to a sweet lady…I enjoyed hearing about her trip to Paris with her daughter and how she got to climb the Eiffel Tower before she had a stroke. I am looking forward to going back to call BINGO for them again.”

Stories of Columbus plans to expand their visits to include the Palmer Home for Children, a local orphanage, in the future.