MSMS Model Security Council Competes at MSU

Courtesy of Julie Heintz

MSMS students showed out at Mississippi State University’s Model Security Council Competition.

Michelle Luo, Web Editor

Students competed at the Mississippi Model Security Council (MMSC) conference at Mississippi State University on Thursday, Feb. 28 and Friday, March 1.

Liz Huynh and Loveish Sarolia, representing the United States,  Hamilton Wan and Lori Feng, representing China, and Esmond Tsang and Vayd Ramkumar, representing Kuwait, all won Best Delegation. Lilian Le, representing the United Kingdom, won Best Resolution.

MMSC holds the “goal of exposing high school students to the world of international politics through stimulating debate centered around solving world issues.” Student participants represented nations including the United States, China, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia and Sweden. Following Robert’s Rules of Order, the students debate resolutions submitted.

Courtesy of Catherine Boltz
Students prepare to debate new bills.

Senior Liz Huynh is Secretary of the MSMS Model Security Council, having participated in the event her junior year.

“Preparing for MMSC, we created a shared document and each researched topics. We had biweekly meetings in Shackleford Auditorium, and we would sit as a panel. As different countries, members had to write resolutions, and we would debate them,” said Huynh.

Resolutions describe a response to ongoing conflicts between countries encompassing topics of human rights, poverty, hunger and war. Some resolutions consider how to delegate peacekeeping troops and missions around the world, tariffs and deciding where to hold international summits.

Club co-presidents Lori Feng and Hamilton Wan remark on the benefits of participating in MMSC throughout their time at MSMS.

“I am very proud of our team. I think that the club is a great way to encourage students to learn more about foreign affairs and debate about issues in a constructive way,” Feng said.

“I really enjoyed my experiences with MMSC and am also very proud with how everyone did. MMSC is a great way for anyone to learn to cooperate and compromise with others, even in an artificial setting,” Wan said.

Dennis Lee, a junior, represented Kuwait in his first time participating in MMSC.

“MMSC was my first time doing competitions requiring improvisation. Of course, it’s largely based on your preparation and previous research, but you also need to figure out what to say on the spot. I’m definitely going to do it again next year,” said Lee, who is interested in studying foreign relations.

Though the MSMS Model Security Council had adjourned for the year, officer elections will be held after the spring break.