Morgan Emokpae: Sergio Ramos Who?

Morgan Emokpae: Sergio Ramos Who?

Tyler Branch, Staff Writer / Social Media Assistant

Before he came to the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, senior and emissary Morgan Emokpae played soccer for his entire life. Now he holds the title of soccer team captain of the MSMS Blue Waves.

Emokpae is from Bryam, where he attended Terry High School. He has been playing soccer since he was a child, and Emokpae has learned that soccer is a sport he has grown to enjoy. “When I was younger, my mom made me participate in every sport, from baseball to swimming. Soccer was the only sport that I liked. One the reasons I enjoy soccer so much is because I like to run without it feeling like I’m running,” Emokpae explained. “When I was younger, my mom made me participate in every sport, from baseball to swimming. Soccer was the only sport that I liked. One of the reasons I enjoy soccer so much is because I like to run without it feeling like I’m running.” “My favorite player is Sergio Ramos,” he added.   

When I was younger, my mom made me participate in every sport, from baseball to swimming. Soccer was the only sport that I liked. One the reasons I enjoy soccer so much is because I like to run without it feeling like I’m running”

— Morgan Emokpae

At Terry High School, Emokpae was a member of the marching band, a member of the Beta Club, and a member of the soccer team. Emokpae was drawn to MSMS with the help of MSMS Senior Class President, Samantha Anderson.

“Samantha was the reason I found out about MSMS, and when I did, I was like, ‘That seems fun.’ Not only could I get a better education, but I could meet new people and get new experiences,” Emokpae described.

Coming to MSMS as a junior, Emokpae smoothly transitioned into the sport he enjoys the most, soccer. He is also a member of various clubs. “I am in French Club, Asian Student Association, Black Student Alliance, Blue Knights, S.E.A.L, Chemistry Club, Interfaith Dialogue, Forgotten Stories, and Voices in Harmony. That’s just to name a few,” Emokpae listed, laughing. Emokpae also has a love for cooking and TV–“especially Cajun food,” Emokpae pointed out. “It’s my favorite. I love making gumbo and shrimp & grits. My other love is Netflix.”

MSMS allowed Emokpae to reach his full potential. He explained that his previous high school did not offer the classes, clubs, and diversity that he wanted. Here, he was able to explore new ideas and areas. “For example, I realized here that I love foreign languages,” Emokpae explained. “Coming to MSMS, I was able to meet people that spoke different languages.” If you see Emokpae around campus, you’ll often hear him asking his classmates how to say some random phrase in another language.

After graduating, Emokpae wants to attend a four-year university. “I would like to major in International Affairs with an emphasis in Public Health or Biology or Biochemistry,” Emokpae explained. He wants to learn about different cultures and healthcare to help people in developing countries. In particular, Emokpae wants to help his father’s native country, Nigeria, by improving healthcare administration and community health education.

To juniors, Emokpae leaves them with this advice: “Life is short, so if you’re going to procrastinate, do it productively. Also, start your Common App over the summer!”

About the Contributor
Tyler Branch, Social Media Assistant

Tyler Branch is a senior who is a part of The Vision. He enjoys hanging out with family and friends and showing goats in the 4-H. He is also a part of...