Camryn Mason Enjoys Final Year Before Graduation

Alden Wiygul

Camryn Mason waiting to take her senior portraits.

Alden Wiygul, Staff Writer

Camryn Mason is in her last year at MSMS, and while she cannot wait to go to the University of Mississippi in Oxford next year, she will miss all the times she had at MSMS.

Mason attended Russell Christian Academy in Quitman before coming to join the Blue Waves.  She loves being free of her old uniforms and expressing herself. Her favorite part about MSMS, however, is the people she has met here.

“I’ve loved all the friends I’ve made at MSMS,” Mason stated fondly.

She’s also met more than just amazing students. Mason’s favorite teacher has been Kaye Truitt, who has given her as many lessons about life as she has about chemistry. Her favorite class, though, is Tales from the Crypt because of the trips to the library that have resulted in new friendships and fun coffee dates.

“That class is probably the most rewarding because you are doing stuff for yourself and for the community,” Mason said.

Another thing she loves about MSMS is all the clubs and teams she gets to participate in. Mason is FCS co-president and film club co-president, while serving as a member of the fashion board, the PAC club aka the Blue Notes, and the soccer team. Out of everything she does, soccer and FCS are her two favorites because of the group interactions and the common beliefs and interests.

Her favorite traditions at MSMS are the annual Science Carnival and the Secret Pals. Mason always goes all out for her secret pal and makes sure they’re having a great time at MSMS. She also has a favorite spot on campus. Every time she has a paper to write she goes up to the second floor in the library and sits where she can see down into the lobby. This spot gets her motivated to work.

Mason just overall enjoys living in Columbus more than she liked her hometown, Quitman. She says that Columbus has a much better atmosphere for teens. Downtown is cleaner and nicer, and she loves that it is in perfect walking distance. When it’s warm out she goes to the Riverwalk with her friends, and when it’s cold she goes to Coffeehouse on 5th to study.

Despite how challenging the academics and dorm life can be, she would not give up all the friends she has made here. To inspire the juniors who will soon be facing the dreaded senior year, she gives this advice.

“As long as you are trying, it doesn’t matter what letter grade you get, and enjoy your last year here because it’ll be gone before you know it.”