Thomas: Student Lounge Changes Positive

Corrin Dixon

Everything is back to normal in the Hooper Student Lounge.

Cameron Thomas, Copy Editor

On Oct. 31, A.K.A. Halloween, a shocking mass email almost as terrifying as the sight of an NC baffled the entire MSMS student body. The first sentence stated, “Due to behavior and noise issues the Study Lounge in Hooper will be closed for at least the remainder of the week.”

The student lounge is the place where students of MSMS turn to when they want to relax in the midst of the onerous academic environment. Its purpose is to be a setting where students can have a quiet and comfortable area to study or relax during their off periods without having to leave Hooper Academic Building. It, arguably, houses some of the most comfortable couches on campus, thus explaining why it may be so tempting to fall asleep among the soft cushions.

Thus, the student lounge became a place where all of the students who didn’t have classes would take naps, have many pointless and noisy debates, spread gossip, stand on furniture, or do anything other than what was considered proper student lounge etiquette.

Throughout the day, especially during fourth and fifth period (the two lunch periods where the majority of students are free at the same time), office faculty would continuously come in the lounge and tell the students to “be quiet because classes are taking place.”

As a result, the student lounge was closed for three consecutive academic days. It took these drastic measures for students to actually listen to what was being said, but the question is: was all of this really necessary? I did not think it was at first, but as the days slowly glided by, a deep truth was divulged.

I can honestly say that I did not realize how much I used the student lounge until I was not able to use it for those three days. It was a constant struggle trying to find a seat in the lobby and walking back and forth to my dorm.

However, I was more productive than ever during those days. I was able to actually concentrate while doing my work in my dorm between classes. I was never able to do that while in the student lounge because there was always something much more interesting that stole my attention.

In all honesty, the student lounge was the last place students who needed to get something done thought about because the environment was way too entertaining to focus on their work. There is always some type of weird conversation taking place that is almost irresistible to be involved.

After the days were over, an email that contained the new and explicit rules for the student lounge was sent to the student body. They were made by a group of students and faculty members. The rules are:

1. No PDA
  2. No laying down on the couches or napping.
  3.  No standing on the furniture
  4.  Clean up after yourself- pushing chairs under the tables, pillows on couches, trash thrown away
  5.  Keep the noise at a minimum as this is a study lounge and place to relax.

I personally think that they are pretty reasonable, and it shouldn’t be too much trouble following them. Some students think otherwise.

Sometimes, I think we students forget that MSMS is a high school, and we still have to adhere to some of those same petty rules that are actually there for a reason. It is fair to say that the administration is not the most lenient, but rules are rules, and our parents have entrusted the school with some of their typical responsibilities. Therefore, we have to have these rules in order to keep structure.

Ever since the lounge reopened, there have not been as many complaints about students being too loud because they have become aware of the consequences. Even though it is not completely perfect, you can see the major differences, for students are becoming more cautious of their noise levels and what they do.

The noise levels and the behavior in the lounge were a problem before hand, and believe that administration handled it properly without having to go into drastic measures. The only questions left are the following: will this new set of rules be enough to keep the students intact for the rest of the school year, or will there be more interference with the day-to-day lives of the MSMS student body?