Samantha Anderson: Madame President and National Merit Scholar

Courtesy of Samantha Anderson

“Sam is just a hardworking person, and she’s bubbly and nice.” -Lori Feng

Faith Brown, Staff Writer

Samantha Anderson, known around campus as Sam, is a National Merit Scholar and senior class president. Anderson comes from Terry, Mississippi, where she attended Terry High School. She loves cheese sticks and spends her time singing, crocheting, and playing tennis or “just chilling” in her spare time.

At Terry High School, she participated in Beta Club, Tennis, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society and Quiz Bowl, some of which she continues to participate in at MSMS.

“Mu Alpha Beta still, Beta Club, still, and sports wise I participate in Tennis, Band/Choir, Voices of Harmony and Black Student Alliance,” Anderson listed.

Anderson has held the position of class president for two consecutive years and Vice President of Voices in Harmony. She has also fundraised actively for Beta Club.

Known around campus as an all-around, open person, Anderson is a person several students find they can talk to. Many seniors described her as incredibly smart, beautiful, hardworking and having unwavering dedication.

“Samantha Anderson is honestly one of the most determined people I have ever met. I remember last year when we stayed up ridiculously late making paper mâché flowers for prom,” senior Lori Feng said. “And I honestly don’t know how she found the dedication to hot glue flower petals together that she hand-cut, but prom was absolutely amazing. Overall, Sam is just a hardworking person, and she’s bubbly and nice, and I’m so happy to have met her.”

Some might believe that Anderson became a National Merit Scholar by cramming for the PSAT, but Anderson said it was actually the total opposite. She was totally calm and didn’t have a specific routine to study, but she did practice. She also made sure to receive help when she needed.

“I didn’t study much. I did a math problem every now and then, and the day before I did a math practice test. I went to Dr. Benge, and he would help me with all the problems so I’d would know how to solve them.”

Anderson also believes that being a National Merit Scholar gives her future a brighter prospect: “It gives me options to fall back, in terms of schools, and I know some schools I can apply to and get a full ride, so it allows me to reach for higher-up schools.”

Anderson also mentioned the top colleges she’s aiming for, “I like Princeton, Yale, and Ohio State right now, but I’m not sure.”