Dramatic Performance students host “The Great Pandemonium”

Katelyn Booker

Students file in, filling up the seats, once the doors open.

Jessikah Morton, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Oct. 10, the MSMS dramatic performance class put on a play called “The Great Pandemonium.”

In “The Great Pandemonium,” a class of drama students puts on the Shakespearean play “Richard III,” but everything that could go wrong does go wrong until the director, played by senior Victoria Waller, takes drastic measures to get the play in order.

MSMS junior Alisha Burch was enthralled by the ending of the play, which also took many audience members by surprise.

“It really had a plot twist because I didn’t know that was going to happen. It had me real engaged.”

Burch was referring to the end of the play where the director, Victoria Waller, loses her mind because she can’t take the dysfunction of the uncooperative cast members. In actuality, the director’s breakdown was a tactic to get the actors to straighten up.

Victoria Waller had a blast with her role.

“I was Jared. That was me, the director. I had a lot of fun. I had so many lines. I had to learn them in three weeks,” she announced as her family watched proudly behind her.

Not only did Waller love her part, but she also loved her cast mates as well. She also wants more juniors to join in on all the fun.

“Dramatic Performance is really fun, and all the juniors should take it next year because it’s a really fun class.”

Dramatic Performance is really fun, and all the juniors should take it next year because it’s a really fun class.

— Victoria Waller

Violet Jira, a junior at MSMS, acted as Urla in the play and enjoyed every moment of working with her scene mates. She had only been practicing her part for two weeks due to a subsequent change in casting.

“It’s an awesome community. It was a fun experience,” Jira said.

Taylor Shamblin, a senior at MSMS, directed “The Great Pandemonium.” He got the idea from his prior school’s play, believing he could make it even better with his own personal twist. He also loved directing the drama students.

“Everyone was beautiful,” Shamblin said. “The time it took to get everyone where they fully understood their lines and that entire process for me was a really great experience. We’re all just having so much fun doing it, and when it came to fruition, I was just very very proud of all the actors and all they had to go through in order to get where they were.”

The play featured Dramatic Performance students Arin Kelly, Victoria Waller, Malerie Holloway, Dev Jaiswal, Alan Elgin, Robyn Fleming, August Andre, Violet Jira and Mia Parker. Seniors Taylor Shamblin was the director of the play about a play. Senior Jacob Lee and junior Raven Day were a part of the Production and PR section while senior Arin Kelly handled lighting and sound.

The class plans on performing a segment of Tennessee Williams’s “The Glass Menagerie” on December 5.