Alumni Jalexis Evans Continues To Use Her MSMS Experience In College

Courtesy of Jalexis Evans

Jalexis Evans finds her way through college and looks toward future endeavors.

Jessikah Morton, Staff Writer

Jalexis Evans is a 2017 graduate of the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, who now attends Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana. At MSMS she participated in an array of activities. She stepped in Blu Diamondz and sang in Blue Notes.

“I was also in Wags and Whiskers, Future Physicians of America, and Voices in Harmony. I don’t know if those are still clubs there,” Evans added.

Evans participated and still participates in many community service projects including relabeling libraries, reading to children, tutoring and volunteering in numerous other events.

At Tulane University, Evans found that MSMS helped her in ways beyond handling the workload of college. She’s on the pre-med track, majoring in Chemistry and minoring in Studio Art.

“[MSMS] did influence my major decision a lot. I knew that I wanted to go into the medical field, but I didn’t know what route or major I wanted to take up to get there, but being taught by Mrs. Truitt and seeing the love and enthusiasm she had for the subject made me love it.”

Being at MSMS helped her realize what she wants to do with her life, but the school also helped her establish relationships and keep them.

“It’s given me lifelong friendships. Although all of my friends are at different states we still talk to each other almost, if not, every day. It’s given me great network connections. I always get random texts from students here that have graduated from MSMS and want to help me succeed in any way they can. It’s also prepared tremendously academically and socially. Most of my classes I already have background in MSMS which just makes my life easier. The environment at MSMS also prepared me for college life in general. Being on my own, how to get around, how to function, how to socialize, how to take care of myself, etc., and I’m really appreciative of it.”

At the end of the interview she even reached out and offered me an opportunity to talk to her if I needed help just as the MSMS community did for her.

“Also, if you need help with anything or advice about school, or just to talk don’t be afraid to reach out.”