Director of Student Affairs Mrs. LeAnn Alexander Joins MSMS Family

Courtesy of Heath Stevens

Mrs. LeAnn Alexander presents a trophy to the winning team at the first annual Great MSMS Boat Race.

Eric Lentz, Sports Editor

As a settling junior, I have found the “family” atmosphere to be evident within every interaction: junior to senior, teacher to student, student to ResLife staff–everywhere. Recently, I had the chance to sit down with one of the leaders of this odd family tree, Mrs. LeAnn Alexander, the new Director of Student Affairs.

As the sports editor, I was curious to speak with her about her role within our school’s athletics as the Athletic Director, a position that is coupled with the Director of Student Affairs responsibilities.

More specifically the Athletic Director is an administrator to oversee and approve dates for activities, prevent future scheduling conflicts, complete paperwork, examine eligibility status, or even respond to emergency situations. “We have a lot of responsibility when it comes to the athletics and our student athletes,” Alexander said.

Alexander’s commitment to her new position is especially evident in her discussion of her student life duties as a whole. “My passion, and I think my purpose in life, is to serve students and to help them progress in life. I’m all about learning life skills. You [students] are phenomenal, you don’t need my help in the classroom, but, in terms of just life, that’s where my passion and purpose lies. So if you don’t know anything else about me, know that as I lead, that is my purpose,” Alexander said.

After getting her graduate degree in counselor education with the emphasis in student affairs, she immediately began to work in the Campus Recreations office as an assistant to the director at the W. She was in the director position not long after. Now, five years removed from college, she a part of the MSMS family.

Her transition from the W to MSMS wasn’t a difficult one. She highlighted the ease of proximity and the heightened level of responsibilities. “I’m acting as a parent in place our our student’s parents while they are here, and so the learning curve really came there. I’ve been so accustomed to young adults then I transition into dealing with minors, and so there are a lot of differences. But because you guys are so unique in terms of being gifted, away from home, and residential, it’s kinda the same in terms of what you guys are doing here on campus and that kind of thing.”

Having been at the W, she worked with MSMS quite often. After all, they essentially live on the W campus. She’s worked with Coach Valeria Scott many times in the past to help orchestrate MSMS events and activities for the students. Also, the office of campus recreation at the W had a large responsibility in Stark Recreation Center. “We are the eyes for [MSMS] there; making sure students were safe and that kind if thing. If we had any issues, we reported them to Mr. Rick at the time. So we’ve always had a close relationship, especially with my role there at the recreation center.”

As our discussion came to a close, she shared that her position is to help each MSMS student “become a good citizen- a good person! You know, sometimes we miss that, Just being a good person, and that’s to me, even if i see you or meet you for the first time on a bad occasion, I hope that you leave with something: a lesson learned.”

Niche.com rates MSMS with the #1 faculty in the nation. This accomplishment is not something that should be brushed off lightly, but students must also take advantage of the opportunities extended by all staff and administrators. Mrs. Alexander is just one of the many great people here at MSMS.