Students Trek through United Kingdom on Spring Break Trip

Courtesy of Julie Heintz

Pictured above are seniors (from left to right) Vivia Davis, Rachel Brady, Maggie Rennie, at the Ring of Kerry in Ireland.

Brady Suttles, News Editor

For her twelfth year in a row, MSMS history instructor Ms. Julie Heintz, along with music instructor Mrs. Dawn Barham, led 43 students, parents and interested friends to Europe. This year, the group traveled to Ireland, Wales and England.

The first stop of the group was Ireland, where they ventured through large cities and small towns. While in Blarney, the group kissed the Blarney Stone inside the medieval castle. In Dublin, the group toured the city, including Trinity College and the National Gallery of Ireland.

We started the week off in Ireland. We spent time venturing through big cities like Dublin and little towns like Tralee. Ireland has a lot of sheep. They’re the equivalent of cows in America and I think that’s pretty adorable,” Keely Brewer, MSMS senior, stated.

The group then departed Ireland en route for Wales. They rode the ferry to the country and toured Beaumaris Castle and also visited a town that was the world record holder for the longest name.

“I would say that my favorite place we visited was Wales. Wales is absolutely breathtaking! We went to a castle there, Beaumaris Castle, that was built in the 1200s and was full of corridors to explore. Once you climb to the top of the castle, the view is expansive and beautiful,” Edith Marie Green, MSMS junior, said.

The group moved on from Wales to England. In England, the group visited Stratford, the birth and resting place of Shakespeare.   

“Visiting Stratford and having the chance to go to the church where Shakespeare is buried and seeing the actual record of his baptism made this nerdy historian very happy,” Heintz said.

The group moved on from Stratford and into London, which seemed to be the overwhelming favorite location of the group.

“My favorite part of the trip was London. It was really fun riding the ‘tube,’ or underground trains, and the double decker bus. The best place to sit on the bus is on the second floor all the way in the front because it feels like a roller coaster. You are literally kind of in front of the driver,” junior Caitlin Jordan said. London had beautiful gardens and statues all around the city. A part of the city known as Theater Land was filled with posters and such about so many plays. I also visited China Town, which was beautiful. There were lanterns and statues all around. I had some dumplings that were super good. I went to a souvenir shop were a guy gave me a free little gift because he loved my accent which I thought was a cool little experience.” 

Likewise, Brewer added her favorite part of the trip was getting to navigate the undergrounds of London with friends.

“For me, London was the most exciting part of this trip. It was so much fun navigating the underground with my friends, except for the part when my card stopped working and I had to skip through the little gates behind my friends. The first time I tried this, though, the door closed on me, but I was a pro by the end of the day,” Brewer added.

Heintz gave her final comments about the trip, including the part that brought her the most joy, seeing the awe of her students.

“Taking students on travel tours and seeing their eyes light up as they view Big Ben, Blarney Castle, Buckingham Palace or take their first ferry boat ride from Ireland to Wales are events that I am proud to experience with my students,” Heintz said.

Heintz will continue her spring break tradition next year by leading students on a trip to Greece.

She reminds students of a quote by Oliver Wendell Holmes: “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.”