A Moment of Silence for 9/11

Maliah Wilkinson/The Vision

The MSMS Voices in Harmony Choir plans to sing several patriotic songs in commemoration of 9/11

Maliah Wilkinson, Staff Writer

In memory of the 2001 tragedy of 9/11, three MSMS clubs have united to present a commemoration ceremony on September 9 at 6 p.m. in front of Mary Wilson. The program will be presented by LaToya Bledsoe, with the Voices in Harmony choir (VIH), the Drama club, and the Poetry club performing.

Bledsoe has been in-charge of the Remembering 9/11 program for two years. 

The program was well attended last year by students, and I wanted to do it again and make it more student-driven by involving the students,” she said. “It is my hope that students will remember the history of what has changed America today and, although most students here at MSMS were very young during this time, it is always an advantage to learn about the history of this great nation and how lives were affected during this tragic day.”

VIH President Tiana Spivey said she is proud for the choir to perform. “The reason VIH is singing at the commemoration event is because, we care about how this event and how it has shaped America,” she explained. The choir will perform the Star Spangled Banner and God Bless America while wearing red, white and blue in remembrance.

Drama club President Sasha Edwards attended the program last year and hopes those attending will appreciate the special event. “We have done as much as possible for the auspicious occasions and I hope that our actions will speak volumes about this tragedy.”  

The Drama club has planned to have dramatic reading of testimonies to emphasize the lasting effects of the tragedy. The program hopes to bring light to a tragic day in American history and show that people still care and still remember.